Gastroparesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your gastroparesis?

What are gastroparesis symptoms and signs?

The primary symptoms of gastroparesis are nausea and vomiting. Other symptoms of gastroparesis include bloating with or without abdominal distension, early satiety (feeling full quickly when eating), and in severe cases, weight loss due to a reduced intake of food because of the symptoms. Abdominal pain also is present frequently though the cause of the pain is unclear. Reduced intake of food and restriction of the types of food that are eaten can lead to nutritional deficiencies.

The vomiting of gastroparesis usually occurs after meals; however, with severe gastroparesis, vomiting may occur without eating due simply to the accumulation of secretions in the stomach. The characteristic vomiting happens several hours after a meal when the stomach is maximally distended by the presence of food and secretions stimulated by the meal. Since the grinding action of the stomach is absent, the vomited food often contains larger pieces and is easily recognized. (Contrast this with the more common type of vomiting in which the food appears as small, uniform, unidentifiable particles.)

Other, less frequent effects of gastroparesis are the promotion of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and malnutrition.

Return to Gastroparesis

Comment from: jamiescoffee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had excessive belching now for two years and it has only gotten worse. I have had endoscopies and just had a tube inserted down nose into esophagus to measure the waves. The doctor said it was normal. I stopped taking all medicines and it seemed to help, but then the gastroparesis returned. I called the doctor again and they said to try taking peppermint pills, so I tried that and again it helped for about two to three days then it returned. The belching goes on for hours (15 or more hours a day) and by that time my stomach is so upset, I can"t even eat anything. I am at my wits end.

Comment from: Gurl8000, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 3 years ago. I have episodes of excessive burping. It is so annoying and embarrassing. I can't eat or drink anything without burping excessively and nothing helps. I am taking Protonix, Reglan, and erythromycin. I only eat every 8 to 10 hours and can only drink fluids at night. They removed my gallbladder but still I have no relief from the burping.