Dry Mouth - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with dry mouth.

What is dry mouth?

Dry mouth is a condition that results from a decreased volume of saliva in the mouth. Dry mouth is also called xerostomia. Xerostomia can make it difficult to speak, eat, and digest food and can lead to malnutrition. Extreme dry mouth and salivary gland dysfunction can produce significant anxiety, permanent mouth and throat disorders, and can impair a person's quality of life.

Return to Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Comment from: Miserable, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I have suffered with dry mouth for so long, years. The only helpful thing I've found is chewing sugarless gum, which I'm getting concerned about. What is three packs of gum a day doing to my teeth! I also am tortured with burning lips, which nothing except the sugarless gum helps. I have tried drinking lots of water, Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, and spray, none of which help. I quit smoking eight months ago, which hasn't helped. I'm on the same medications which I've been on for years, Zetia and Coumadin. I've worked with my dentist, a dermatologist, and a dietician. None can diagnose either the dry mouth or the burning lips. I continue to use Biotene toothpaste as any other brand makes my lips burn even worse. These are truly miserable conditions to live with, with my only respite being sleep; and I must coat my lips with white petroleum jelly to get any sleep. I've tried at least a dozen lip balms. None work. Just the white petroleum jelly at night. Oddly, that same product does not help during waking hours! I don't know what else to do or where to turn. I'm so weary of living with these conditions.

Comment from: catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have had dry mouth for a year now. My blood work was inconclusive and my lip biopsy was negative. I wake up fine, the dryness starts around 11 am or earlier. Nothing I do or take seems to help it. It is much more pronounced when travelling in a hot country. Also, when I am under stress. I have tried the Biotin products, the mints, cough drops, the pilocarpine and lemon. After reading all the reader experiences, I see there is no solution. I also take Zopliclone every night to help me sleep. I have been so called diagnosed with fibromyalgia.