Tetanus - Vaccine

Are you up-to-date on your tetanus vaccine? When and why did you receive it last?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the schedule for active immunization (tetanus shots)?

All children should be immunized against tetanus by receiving a series of five DTaP vaccinations which generally are started at 2 months of age and completed at approximately 5 years of age. Booster vaccination is recommended at 11 years of age with Tdap.

Follow-up booster vaccination is recommended every 10 years thereafter. While a 10-year period of protection exists after the basic childhood series is completed, should a potentially contaminated wound occur, an "early" booster may be given in selected cases and the 10 years "clock" reset.

Return to Tetanus

Comment from: midcreek1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

My last tetanus shot was 34 years ago. I had a reaction of swelling arm and I literally slept for 3 days only getting up to go to the bathroom. I went to my doctor and he said I had an allergic reaction and to "not ever take the shot again". I since then think of the risk as I do work with animals so I asked my present doctor (I told him what my reaction to the shot had been) and he said just take 25mg of Benadryl and take another shot. But I"m worried to do that, so I need another opinion on this. I do feel I should get the shot, but will all I need is 25mg of Benadryl! I"ve been trying to find out from somewhere on this issue.