Psoriasis - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your psoriasis?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for psoriasis?

There are many effective treatment choices for psoriasis. The best treatment is individually determined by the treating physician and depends, in part, on the type of disease, the severity, and the total body area involved.

For mild disease that involves only small areas of the body (like less than 10% of the total skin surface), topical (skin applied) creams, lotions, and sprays may be very effective and safe to use. Occasionally, a small local injection of steroids directly into a tough or resistant isolated psoriasis plaque may be helpful.

For moderate to severe disease that involves much larger areas of the body (like 20% or more of the total skin surface), topical products may not be effective or practical to apply. These cases may require ultra-violet light treatments or systemic (total body treatments such as pills or injections) medications. Internal medications usually have greater risks.

For psoriatic arthritis, systemic medications are generally required to stop the progression of permanent joint destruction. Topical therapies are not effective.

It is important to keep in mind that as with any medical condition, all medications carry possible side effects. No medication is 100% effective for everyone, and no medication is 100% safe. The decision to use any medication requires thorough consideration and discussion with your physician. The risks and potential benefit of medications have to be considered for each type of psoriasis and the individual patient. Some patients are not bothered at all by their skin symptoms and may not want any treatment. Other patients are bothered by even small patches of psoriasis and want to keep their skin clear. Everyone is different and, therefore, treatment choices also vary depending on the patient's goals and expressed wishes.

An approach to minimize the toxicity of some of these medicines has been commonly called "rotational" therapy. The idea is to change the antipsoriasis drug every six to 24 months in order to minimize the possible side effects from any one type of therapy or medication.

In another example, a patient who has been using strong topical steroids over large areas of their body for prolonged periods may benefit from stopping the steroids for a while and rotating onto a different therapy like calcitriol (Vectical), light therapy, or an injectable biologic.

Return to Psoriasis

Comment from: Flygrrl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I developed severe psoriasis all over my body as a child. I think the stress of moving to a new state and away from my childhood friends triggered it. Doctors had me try tar shampoo and oil on my scalp to loosen the scales, which just made me a smelly, oily outcast. Finally I saw a specialist at age 16 who prescribed light box treatment. That did the trick. Now I make sure I get a little sun exposure and salt water (ocean, pool) regularly and use baby oil after my shower while skin is still damp and basic moisturizer on my face. I still have some on my scalp because it doesn"t see the sun, but no worries. Sun and salt are very healing; no medications.

Comment from: KC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

One year ago, I went to the doctor because I had flakes in my both hands. At first, the doctor told me that it was unspecified dermatitis but after a month it was getting worse. I already had flakes in my elbows. The doctor prescribe me with steroid but it was still the same, the psoriasis was getting worse. I started to research about my case then I saw this Wassen Zinc-ACE. This is not a medicine, this is a supplements which is good for our immune system. I started to take 1 tablet per day as per instruction then after 2 weeks the flakes in both my elbows and hands are gone. Now I am not ashamed anymore because of my ugly hands as before.

Stay Informed!