Achalasia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your achalasia?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for achalasia?

Treatments for achalasia include oral medications, stretching of the lower esophageal sphincter (dilation), surgery to cut the sphincter (esophagomyotomy), and the injection of botulinum toxin (Botox) into the sphincter. All four treatments reduce the pressure within the lower esophageal sphincter to allow easier passage of food from the esophagus into the stomach.

Return to Achalasia

Comment from: ladycaramel14, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

As of July 25, 2013, I now know that I have achalasia. Surgery was performed to cut a lining between my esophagus and stomach, which unclogged a blockage between them. I am on the road to a slow recovery. I have been able to eat a solid meal since July 28. My weight will be monitored every day. The steroids have a noticeable side effect, which causes me to have an appetite, loss of sleep, and energy out of this world. I have several medicines to take to each day. Steroids and vitamins are to be taken every day. I also have what is known as adrenal insufficiency.

Comment from: BaxRex, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with achalasia 7 years ago. The day before I was to have a myotomy I threw my back out. In desperation I went to a chiropractor. He adjusted my back and told me my achalasia was probably caused from my upper back or neck tightness, caused by stress, which in turn put pressure on my vagus nerve that runs from brain down to my gastrointestinal tract. He adjusted (cracked) my neck and I had immediate relief in my esophagus. The treatment doesn"t work as well as it used to but still works. Every time he cracks my neck (bi-weekly) my esophagus "gurgles". I still have trouble swallowing but it"s much better. I never did the surgery. Hope it works for you.