Achalasia - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your achalasia?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of achalasia?

The symptoms of achalasia include:

• Difficulty swallowing food
  • Difficulty swallowing both solid and liquid food
  • Regurgitation of food that is retained in the esophagus. If this happens at night, food may be aspirated into the lungs, a serious medical problem
  • Chest discomfort from esophageal dilation and/or retained food
  • Sharp chest pain usually of unclear cause
  • Heartburn; however, the heartburn is not characteristic of heartburn and is not helped by treatment for heartburn
  • Loss of weight due to reduced intake of food
Return to Achalasia

Comment from: Niecee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had the achalasia surgery over 6 years plus back. I suffer something awful. It gradually came back, I had numerous dilatations. My system went into some kind of shock and I can barely get anything down. I am worse off than before and not getting any help. I don't know how one can live like this while having other serious illness. My normal weight was about 130 lb. Now I weigh less than 100 lb. Due to my illness it is very difficult for me to write about everything. I have and still am suffering so bad and can't believe a person can live like this because this is not living. I am miserable.

Comment from: Seashell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was diagnosed with achalasia in February 2016. It began last year first with a tickle in my throat that made me have a constant cough. Progressed to trouble swallowing both food and liquids, belching up food and liquids, choking on saliva when sleeping, bringing up food from the night before and foamy saliva. Finally I am about to get the Botox injection and ultimately the Heller myotomy with Dor fundoplication. Can't wait for relief.