Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia.

Please select the white circle:

What is giardiasis?

Giardiasis (gee-ar-die-a-sis with a soft "G") is an infection of the small intestine that is caused by the parasite, Giardia intestinalis, also known as Giardia lamblia. It is the most common cause of parasitic gastrointestinal disease; it is estimated that 20,000 cases of giardiasis occur each year in the U.S., and there is a 20% to 30% prevalence in the world's population.

Giardia lamblia exists in two forms, an active form called a trophozoite, and an inactive form called a cyst. The active trophozoite attaches to the lining of the small intestine with a "sucker" and is responsible for causing the signs and symptoms of giardiasis. The trophozoite cannot live long outside of the body, therefore it cannot spread the infection to others. The inactive cyst, on the other hand, can exist for prolonged periods outside the body. When it is ingested, stomach acid activates the cyst, and the cyst develops into the disease-causing trophozoite. It takes ingestion of only ten cysts to cause infection. Trophozoites are important not only because they cause the symptoms of giardiasis, but also because they produce the cysts that exit the body in the feces and spread the infection to others.

Cysts of Giardia are present in the feces of infected persons. Thus, the infection is spread from person to person by contamination of food with feces, or by direct fecal-oral contamination. Cysts also survive in water, for example in fresh water lakes and streams. As a result, giardiasis is the most common cause of water-borne, parasitic illness in the U.S.. Domestic mammals (for example, dogs, cats, calves) and wild mammals (for example, beavers) can become infected with Giardia; however, it is not clear how often domestic or wild mammals transmit giardiasis to humans. Giardiasis also has occurred as outbreaks from recreational water sources such as swimming pools, water parks, and hot tubs, most likely because of an infected user rather than a source of water that was contaminated.

Return to Giardia Lamblia

Comment from: Guzzie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had giardia for several years and even been referred to the School of Tropical Medicine to try to cure it - all without success. At first the symptoms were severe with vomiting, nausea and violent diarrhea. They have now settled down to a continual cycle of constipation followed by low level diarrhea, mild nausea following food, continual tiredness, mild fevers and a feeling of being generally unwell a lot of the time. Not severe, almost like you are about to go down with a cold etc. but the cumulative effect is wearing and very depressive for mental health.

Comment from: DoctorOnTeeVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught giardia in Mexico, because I was too lazy to boil water just once. I had been boiling it and drinking it, with no problems. The next year, I had my first asthma attack, which I still have to this day. In my childhood and college years, I got sick a lot. After I caught giardia, I rarely got sick. My theory is the parasite stimulated my immune system into high gear. This over-active immune response is causing my lungs reacting to harmless foreign proteins, such as pollen, dust by producing inflammation, which gives me asthma, in my opinion.