Warts - Effective Treatments

Which wart treatments have been effective for you?

What is the treatment for warts?

Common warts can be annoying to anyone. It is worth considering that, in normal people, half of all warts, on average, spontaneously go away within about 18 months. The information in this article is about the treatment of common warts. It does not apply to genital or venereal warts. Over-the-counter treatment for common skin warts has long been based upon the use of products containing salicylic acid to destroy the wart. Newer nonprescription wart treatments use aerosols to freeze warts.

Salicylic-acid preparations

These are available as drops, gels, pads, and plasters. They are designed for application to all kinds of warts, from tiny ones to great big lumpy ones. Salicylic acid is a keratolytic medication, which means it dissolves the protein (keratin), which makes up most of both the wart and the thick layer of dead skin that often surmounts it.

Nonprescription freezing methods

Aerosol wart treatments that are available over the counter use sprays that freeze warts at a temperature of minus 70 F (minus 57 C). This compares with the liquid nitrogen used by most dermatologists, which is considerably colder (minus 320 F or minus 196 C). The over-the-counter products do not work nearly as well as the colder agents applied by your doctor.

Duct tape

It has been reported that warts can be treated by covering them with duct (duck) tape or other nonporous tape, such as electrical tape. This treatment requires that the tape must be left in place all the time and removed only a few hours once per week. The tape must be replaced frequently. Many are of the opinion that this is no better than a placebo, based on published studies which do not show much effectiveness with this form of treatment.

Return to Warts (Common Warts)

Comment from: taLa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have warts on my elbow. My husband bought "mantika de papel" which can be bought in a Chinese pharmacy. When he applied that liquid on my warts, I felt a little pain, the next day I saw my warts were flat. After a few days, it looks like nothing had happened on my elbow.

Comment from: Meg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My daughter had the cauliflower looking warts on her toes. After repeatedly trying over the counter methods we applied oregano oil daily for about 2 weeks. Next thing we knew they were gone. She now has the flat warts on her face but the oil doesn"t seem to be helping. We are still looking for a solution for that.