Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience

Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.

What are the risks of ovarian cysts during pregnancy?

Ovarian cysts are sometimes discovered during pregnancy. In most cases, they are an incidental finding at the time of routine prenatal ultrasound screening. The majority of ovarian cysts found during pregnancy are benign conditions that do not require surgical intervention. However, surgery may be indicated if there is a suspicion of malignancy, if an acute complication such as rupture or torsion (twisting of the cyst, disrupting the blood supply) develops, or if the size of the cyst is likely to present problems with the pregnancy.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: H3ath3rlk, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was rushed to emergency room one evening with severe, almost immobilizing pain in my lower left abdomen. After many questions and tests I was diagnosed with a torsion of my left ovary. I had so many cysts that my ovary had begun to twist and cut off its own blood supply (explained to me like how a water balloon if you hold it at the neck the weight makes it "spin"). They did emergency surgery to remove the ovary. When I came out of the recovery room the nurse said "congratulations you're 15 weeks pregnant with twins". They are stable and healthy. So eighteen years later I'm living proof that being pregnant and ovarian cysts is "doable".

Comment from: Maureen U., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, I went for ultrasound and found I have 5 cm weight of ovarian cyst on my right ovary. I'm scared though the doctor said it is nothing to worry about that it can even dissolve on its own. Initially I was having cramps and abdominal pains but they have reduced. I want to know if there is anything I can do.