Ovarian Cysts - Pregnancy Experience

Was an ovarian cyst discovered on an ultrasound while you were pregnant? Please describe your experience.

What are the risks of ovarian cysts during pregnancy?

Ovarian cysts are sometimes discovered during pregnancy. In most cases, they are an incidental finding at the time of routine prenatal ultrasound screening. The majority of ovarian cysts found during pregnancy are benign conditions that do not require surgical intervention. However, surgery may be indicated if there is a suspicion of malignancy, if an acute complication such as rupture or torsion (twisting of the cyst, disrupting the blood supply) develops, or if the size of the cyst is likely to present problems with the pregnancy.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: mp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 34 years old. I had abdominal pains and went to a doctor. He put on an ultra sound and found out I have a cyst on my left ovary and that I was 6 months pregnant. Two weeks later I had a miscarriage so I'm wondering if that cyst was the cause.

Comment from: andy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My cyst was found when I was doing pregnancy check up on the ultra sound and I had a very heavy bleeding with balls of dark clots. I bought pregnancy test and the results were negative but I was 6 weeks. I am afraid. I hope it is not miscarriage because I am still feeling symptoms of pregnancy and my stomach is getting bigger.