Dental Injuries - Describe Your Experience

Have you or your child ever fractured a tooth? How did this happen? Please share your experience.

How is a tooth fracture treated?

Tooth fractures can range from minor (involving chipping of the outer tooth layers called enamel and dentin) to severe (involving vertical, diagonal, or horizontal fractures of the tooth and/or root). Enamel and dentin are the two outer protective layers of the tooth. The enamel is the outermost white hard surface. The dentin is a yellow layer lying just beneath the enamel. Enamel and dentin both serve to protect the inner living tooth tissue called the pulp. The portion of the tooth that is visible in the mouth is called the crown and is only a part of the entire tooth structure. The remaining portion of the tooth is buried in the bone and is called the root. Different tests are performed in the mouth to determine if a tooth fracture is present. In some instances, dental X-rays can help to diagnose, locate, and measure the extent of tooth fractures.

Return to Dental Injuries

Comment from: concerned mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I recently noticed that my second premolar on the right side chipped. I may have swallowed the chipped tooth since I can"t remember it, just felt a sharp jagged feeling in my mouth when I was brushing my teeth. This evening, I flossed carefully and a small portion of that tooth came off. My tooth doesn"t feel sensitive to hot or cold - yet. I know I will need to go see the dentist.

Comment from: ozzishep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My dogs knocked me over and I hit my head on our blacktop driveway. I hit my two front teeth which resulted in one tooth cracking and exposing the nerve pulp (class 3 tooth fracture). The other tooth had a severe crack in the lower portion of the tooth. My dentist is not going to do a root canal at this time as I am not having pain or sensitivity. I am going back to have both teeth crowned. I had placed ice on the injury until my dentist could meet me at the dental office. My dentist said it is very important to ice the injury, 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off.