Dental Injuries - Describe Your Experience

Have you or your child ever fractured a tooth? How did this happen? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What is a tooth fracture?

Tooth fractures can range from minor (involving chipping of the outer tooth layers called enamel and dentin) to severe (involving vertical, diagonal, or horizontal fractures of the root). Enamel and dentin are the two outer protective layers of the tooth. The enamel is the outermost white hard surface. The dentin is a yellow layer lying just beneath the enamel. Enamel and dentin both serve to protect the inner living tooth tissue called the pulp. The visible one-third of the tooth is called the crown, while the remaining two-thirds of the tooth buried in the bone is called the root. Dental X-rays are necessary in most instances to diagnose, locate, and measure the extent of tooth fracture.

Return to Dental Injuries

Comment from: Jannie-Mae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have a cracked tooth that's very loose. I bit into an unpopped popcorn kernel.

Comment from: concerned mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I recently noticed that my second premolar on the right side chipped. I may have swallowed the chipped tooth since I can"t remember it, just felt a sharp jagged feeling in my mouth when I was brushing my teeth. This evening, I flossed carefully and a small portion of that tooth came off. My tooth doesn"t feel sensitive to hot or cold - yet. I know I will need to go see the dentist.