Spina Bifida - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with spina bifida and anencephaly (neural tube defects).

What is spina bifida?

Spina bifida, which literally means "cleft spine," is characterized by the incomplete development of the brain, spinal cord, and/or meninges (the protective covering around the brain and spinal cord). It is the most common n eural tube defect in the United States -- affecting 1,500 to 2,000 of the more than 4 million babies born in the country each year. There are an estimated 166,000 individuals with spina bifida living in the United States.

Return to Spina Bifida and Anencephaly (Neural Tube Defects)

Comment from: 25-34 (Caregiver) Published: July 12

my concern is, I have a few girls that were diagnosed with a slight case of spina bifida, after they were a 2 months old, there seem to be no follow up, after that , but they did experience problems growing up, and being older now , they have been recognized with bi polar disorders,, and so on, can spina bifida cause this?

Comment from: jacqueline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had spina bifida when I was born. I have no ill effects from it. I am a perfectly healthy 51 year old woman. So you can have a normal life if you have had spina bifida.