Pseudotumor Cerebri - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension)?

How is pseudotumor cerebri treated?

• Obesity, other treatable diseases, and some medications can cause raised intracranial pressure and symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri.
  • A thorough medical history and physical examination is needed to evaluate these factors.
  • If a diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri is confirmed, close, repeated ophthalmologic exams are required to monitor any changes in vision.
  • Drugs may be used to reduce fluid buildup and to relieve pressure.
  • Weight loss and cessation of certain drugs (including oral contraceptives, tetracycline, and a variety of steroids) may lead to improvement.
  • Surgery may be needed to remove pressure on the optic nerve. Therapeutic shunting, which involves surgically inserting a tube to drain CSF from the lower spine into the abdominal cavity, may be needed to remove excess CSF and relieve CSF pressure.
Return to Pseudotumor Cerebri (Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension)

Comment from: rayofsunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have been fighting pseudotumor cerebri for about 10 solid years. I feel different from one day to the next. I only have painful headaches 3 to 4 times a year. However I am losing my right eye. I now know where my blind spot is and its getting bigger. I pop Tums for stomach upset. I am on 1000 mg Diamox and go to the gym. I get tremors and needles in my hands feet and face from the Diamox. I have stomach upset and am dizzy at times. I feel that this is never going away and I will always have to deal with this issue. My vision is blurry one day and could be a little clear the next. I got lost finding my way home once, and to my son's house. I am now training a service dog just in case it gets any worse. I share this with others to let them know they are not alone. I am thankful I read your post. It brought a little hope on some issues I have been having.

Comment from: flowerbud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had pseudotumor cerebri (PTC) for 35 years. It started after I gave birth 2 my oldest daughter. Since then I have had over 200 spinal taps, Chiari malformation eye surgery to drain the fluid from the back of my eye, 36 lumbar peritoneal shunt revisions. I am not over weight, I think I got it from high doses of prednisone. I had a morphine pain pump in for a year but made them take it out as I got tired of feeling like a zombie every day. My peripheral vision is gone. I live in pain every day but I have to push through. But some days that's impossible. I have to lay in bed sometimes up to a week. And please don't let the doctors bully you around, not them only you know your bodies. If I could only help us PTC suffers I would. Hope your journey with this horrible disease is short lived and not like mine that has lasted so long.