Pseudotumor Cerebri - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension)?

Please select the black square:

How is pseudotumor cerebri treated?

• Obesity, other treatable diseases, and some medications can cause raised intracranial pressure and symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri.
  • A thorough medical history and physical examination is needed to evaluate these factors.
  • If a diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri is confirmed, close, repeated ophthalmologic exams are required to monitor any changes in vision.
  • Drugs may be used to reduce fluid buildup and to relieve pressure.
  • Weight loss and cessation of certain drugs (including oral contraceptives, tetracycline, and a variety of steroids) may lead to improvement.
  • Surgery may be needed to remove pressure on the optic nerve. Therapeutic shunting, which involves surgically inserting a tube to drain CSF from the lower spine into the abdominal cavity, may be needed to remove excess CSF and relieve CSF pressure.
Return to Pseudotumor Cerebri (Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension)

Comment from: ajatch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with PTC (pseudotumor cerebri) back in July 2013. Soon afterwards a blood clot was found in my brain. I take 1050 mg of Diamox every day (500 mg 3 times a day). I don't have many headaches anymore, and if I do, they're muscle tension headaches. However, the lower peripheral vision in my left eye gets blurry and distorted.

Comment from: lotus1979, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I too was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri back in 2006. I was put on a strict diet of only 800 calories a day to drop the weight. I was told if it doesn"t swim or doesn"t fly, don"t eat it because your system cannot handle it. Plus I was put on Topamax and Diamox plus a steroid. I keep reading Neurontin, I was told this is a big no-no for us pseudotumor patients, for one of the side effects is weight gain. They put me on this and I gained 12 pounds in a month. I was on 400 mg 3 times a day for nerve pain. I cannot express to you how much weight this made me gain over a period of time. I would seriously speak to your health providers about this and your pain specialist. Always check your labels about what side effect the medications they are giving you have. If any medicines say weight gain, speak with your health providers.