Pseudotumor Cerebri - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pseudotumor cerebri (idiopathic intracranial hypertension)?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri?

Symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri include symptoms that closely mimic large brain tumors:

• headache,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting, and
  • pulsating sounds within the head.
Return to Pseudotumor Cerebri (Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension)

Comment from: JJBM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have now had an off and on battle with pseudotumor cerebri. Sometimes my vision will just go red, other times I will just pass out. Sometimes I will just have severe head and neck pain. They have tried Diamox, caffeine, and another pain medicine Fioricet. The only thing that keeps the symptoms at bay is a lumbar puncture where they drain the spinal fluid to a normal level. Every 6 months to 2 years this seems to be required.

Comment from: carmencita1000, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

The thing with my pseudotumor cerebri was that I had no idea it was happening. Not until an Easter dinner. I got up from the couch rather quickly and suddenly the right side went black. I didn't pay it much mind. A few days later it happened again in my apartment. Then I called an eye doctor. The office thankfully became hysterical and rushed me in same day. I was clueless. From there straight to a neurologist to a neurosurgeon to do an MRI and C scan all in the span of 7 hours. End of story was that after 7 spinal taps and steroids they placed a lumbar shunt in my body. This happened in 1992 when I was likely obese and in my early thirties. I also had meningitis when I was five. Finally, my older sister who passed at 3 months died of hydrocephalus. None of my other siblings or their children have ever presented symptoms. Very weird to me. It recurred in 2004, no weight involved that time. Long story short a botched surgery and then I was told the lumbar was enough.