Kawasaki Disease - Describe Your Experience

Did you or your child have Kawasaki's disease? Please share your experience.

What is Kawasaki's disease, and how is it diagnosed?

Kawasaki's disease is an uncommon illness in children that is characterized by high fever of at least five days' duration together with at least four of the following five findings:

1. Inflammation with reddening of the whites of the eyes (conjunctivitis) without pus
  2. Redness or swelling of the hands or feet, or generalized skin peeling
  3. Rash
  4. Lymph node swelling in the neck
  5. Cracking, inflamed lips or throat, or red "strawberry" tongue

The above criteria are used to make a diagnosis of Kawasaki's disease. The terminology "incomplete Kawasaki's disease" is sometimes used for patients with only some features of classical Kawasaki's disease. Most patients are under 5 years of age.

Return to Kawasaki Disease

Comment from: bart2, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My son is now 40. He had the disease when he was 10 years old, and no doctors knew what it was. He was put in an empty ward all by himself because no one knew if he was contagious. It was very scary for him and us as his parents. All we were told at that time was he could have a heart attack. The only long-term effects he has (so far) are if he holds hands with anyone they will get clammy and his hands are still somewhat tender. Hopefully, that will be the only long-term effects.

Comment from: anonymously, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I got Kawasaki disease, at age of 23. I had red eyes that burned, my mouth was so red I couldn't eat or barely drink anything it hurt so badly. My hands and feet were bright red like a severe burn I had to crawl, which wasn't much easier. I couldn't turn the knob to turn on the water in the bath tub, I needed someone to turn it on/off and get it to the right temperature. After about 12 days my skin started peeling off my feet, hands and my mouth started to heal. I don't wish that on a toddler. I had no heart problems after it, I was grateful for that.