Bed Bugs - Initial Symptoms

What were your initial symptoms for bed bugs?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms and signs of bed bug bites?

Bed bugs bite and suck blood from humans. Bed bugs are most active at night and bite any exposed areas of skin while an individual is sleeping. The face, neck, hands, and arms are common sites for bed bug bites. The bite itself is painless and is not noticed. Small, flat, or raised bumps on the skin are the most common sign; redness, swelling, and itching commonly occur. If scratched, the bite areas can become infected. A peculiarity of bed bug bites is the tendency to find several bites lined up in a row. Infectious-disease specialists refer to this as the "breakfast, lunch, and dinner" sign, signifying the sequential feeding that occurs from site to site.

Bed bug bites may go unnoticed or be mistaken for flea or mosquito bites or other types of rash or skin conditions, since they are difficult to distinguish from other bites. Bed bugs also have glands whose secretions may leave odors, and they also may leave dark fecal spots on bedsheets and around their hiding places (in crevices or protected areas around the bed or anywhere in the room).

Bed bugs have not been conclusively proven to carry infectious microbes. However, researchers have implicated bed bugs as possible vectors of American trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease), and studies are ongoing to determine whether bed bugs may serve as disease carriers.

Return to Bedbugs

Comment from: omgbbs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I just found a bed bug on my sofa. I started getting what I thought were mosquito bites in January. My kids and I were covered in bites. They look and feel just like mosquito bites, so I really didn't even think that it could be bed bugs. I did find a mosquito in my living room last week and I was able to kill it. So I thought all the bites were over. Well, they weren't. I looked up on line info on bed bugs and I checked all my furniture and beds and I didn't see a thing. So I thought maybe it's another mosquito. It wasn't a mosquito. I think I know where they came from too. I have been living here for 5 yrs and never had any problems with bugs. My step son comes over every other weekend and he was complaining of "spider" bites he was getting at home. This was after he got a new bed, which I think his mom got as a hand me down. I bet that is where they came from. I am so freaking upset. They just gross me out.

Comment from: veryannoyed, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

We just moved into this house a couple of months ago, and my mom wanted to keep this nice looking couch that was in here, and the beds that the last people who lived here left. We have 4 cats and a dog, so when the 'bumps' started appearing, we assumed it was fleas. Well, lo and behold, it is bed bugs.