Hamstring Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms and/or signs were associated with your hamstring injury?

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms and signs of injury to the hamstring muscles?

Hamstring injuries usually occur with sudden lunging, running, or jumping, resulting in muscle injury. The sudden jerking pulls on the tissues of the hamstring muscle. In fact, it is commonly referred to as a "pulled hamstring." Oftentimes, a "pop" is heard or felt by the injured athlete. A variable amount of pain is experienced immediately. The athlete is usually unable to continue and oftentimes cannot even stand.

Examination of the individual with a hamstring injury reveals spasm, tightness, and tenderness. With more severe injury, swelling and a black and blue or bruised appearance will follow. In some cases, a palpable defect (detectable by touching) will be present in the muscle. Tears and strains most often occur at the middle of the back of the thigh where the muscle joins its tendon or at the origin of the hamstring at the base of the buttocks (at the ischium).

Return to Hamstring Injury

Comment from: Lydia, Female (Patient) Published: June 24

With the hamstring injury I have extreme pain, and tightness of muscle like a very bad cramp.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I am an elderly person and my problem started about 15 months ago with some minor pain in my right buttock which has spread to the perineum area and also to the left buttock. I started to get pain when sitting down. This pain has gradually got worse over these last 15 months without any relief at all. I have been to a number of specialists, orthopedics, sports injury doctors, sports injury physiotherapists and pain specialist. I have had physio treatment nerve blocks and cortisone injections, stimulation on the hamstring injury which is at the top end of the hamstring and I am doing regular basic exercises for the hamstring. I have always been a pretty fit person and I would like to spend the later years of my life without the worst of this pain when sitting.