Hamstring Injury - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience associated your hamstring injury?

What are symptoms and signs of injury to the hamstring muscles?

Hamstring injuries usually occur with sudden lunging, running, or jumping, resulting in muscle injury. The sudden jerking pulls on the tissues of the hamstring muscle. In fact, it is commonly referred to as a "pulled hamstring." Oftentimes, a "pop" is heard or felt by the injured athlete. A variable amount of pain is experienced immediately. The athlete is usually unable to continue and oftentimes cannot even stand.

Examination of the individual with a hamstring injury reveals spasm, tightness, and tenderness. With more severe injury, swelling and a black and blue or bruised appearance will follow. In some cases, a palpable defect (detectable by touching) will be present in the muscle. Tears and strains most often occur at the middle of the back of the thigh where the muscle joins its tendon or at the origin of the hamstring at the base of the buttocks (at the ischium).

Return to Hamstring Injury

Comment from: aed461, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I was stretching and felt popping in the back of my thigh, along with pain.

Comment from: tad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I am not an athlete, just a regular every day mum governing my school. Last Saturday I felt a slight activity in my hamstring, did not even take it so serious. With very little knowledge of the injury I have been bedridden for the past seven days, unable to walk and not being able to go to the bathroom.