Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Please select the black triangle:

What is restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night.

Restless leg syndrome is often abbreviated RLS; it has also been termed shaking leg syndrome. Nighttime involuntary jerking of the legs during sleep are also known as periodic leg/limb movement disorder.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: marbles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Up until age 60 I had very good health, or so I thought. Then heart failure, COPD, restless leg syndrome (RLS), sleep apnea... beginning to sound like a Studebaker way past its prime. Never noticed the RLS until after my open-heart surgery to replace aortic valve and my convalescing. With a new awareness of my body's failings, I realized I had been having minor RLS symptoms for years (constant low-grade tingling), passing it off as fatigue. Now, seemingly, a switch had been levered which brought this affliction to my daily life. Still working on a fix that works for me.

Comment from: raj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 44 years old and fighting with this restless leg syndrome for last four years. It starts at night in my feet as soon as I go to bed and gradually increases. Even though I feel sleepy I cannot sleep after lying on bed and closing the eyes. I do not take any medicines. If I cannot sleep I get up and do stretching, massaging, walking for some time and sleep again. When I do regular exercise it helps me to sleep immediately on bed before it gets aggravated.