Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Please select the black triangle:

What is restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night.

Restless leg syndrome is often abbreviated RLS; it has also been termed shaking leg syndrome. Nighttime involuntary jerking of the legs during sleep are also known as periodic leg/limb movement disorder.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My first episode of restless leg syndrome (RLS) was at age 24 when pregnant. I am now 64 and RLS has increased. It can begin during the day and worsen when in bed, wanting to sleep. I also have atrial fibrillation and left heart failure. No one in my maternal family experienced RLS. I recently met several paternal cousins and asked them if they suffer with RLS. Many do. One does not fly because it is so bad with her. She has been helped with costly acupuncture. Both male and female cousins suffer as well as their children. Two of my four daughters also suffer with RLS.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) is horrible. I have had it since 1984 approximately. I take Requip but it doesn't always help. It may act up anytime of the day or night. If I get up in the middle of the night I am unable to go back to sleep due to RLS. My legs hurt and jump so much I don't know how much more I can stand. There must be help somewhere.