Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Please select the white circle:

What is restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night.

Restless leg syndrome is often abbreviated RLS; it has also been termed shaking leg syndrome. Nighttime involuntary jerking of the legs during sleep are also known as periodic leg/limb movement disorder.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

My restless leg syndrome (RLS) is horrible. I have had it since 1984 approximately. I take Requip but it doesn't always help. It may act up anytime of the day or night. If I get up in the middle of the night I am unable to go back to sleep due to RLS. My legs hurt and jump so much I don't know how much more I can stand. There must be help somewhere.

Comment from: gdedwards11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I think I know one reason for restless leg syndrome (RLS); what you eat! If I eat something that has caffeine, I can usually get away with eating (or drinking) later in the day. If I eat something heavy with sugar, like ice cream, I have to eat it earlier in the day or I get restless leg syndrome. The best cure, it doesn't always work, but it might if I drank enough water. Lots of water seems to help. If I'm having a bad night with RLS, I can get up and drink about a liter of water and the RLS goes away and I can usually sleep. Yes, movement helps. But I am convinced it has everything to do with what a person eats before bed. I'm guessing that people with RLS during the day would be able to stop the symptoms by drinking lots of water.