Restless Leg Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with restless leg syndrome.

Please select the black square:

What is restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night.

Restless leg syndrome is often abbreviated RLS; it has also been termed shaking leg syndrome. Nighttime involuntary jerking of the legs during sleep are also known as periodic leg/limb movement disorder.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: gdedwards11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I think I know one reason for restless leg syndrome (RLS); what you eat! If I eat something that has caffeine, I can usually get away with eating (or drinking) later in the day. If I eat something heavy with sugar, like ice cream, I have to eat it earlier in the day or I get restless leg syndrome. The best cure, it doesn't always work, but it might if I drank enough water. Lots of water seems to help. If I'm having a bad night with RLS, I can get up and drink about a liter of water and the RLS goes away and I can usually sleep. Yes, movement helps. But I am convinced it has everything to do with what a person eats before bed. I'm guessing that people with RLS during the day would be able to stop the symptoms by drinking lots of water.

Comment from: countryboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about 30 years and it was getting worse. Medication would sometimes help, but not always. I tried everything without any luck. One day when my RLS was really hurting me, I thought of something that I had not tried for my pain. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water. Then I put ice in the bucket. I soaked my legs as long as I could, doing that several times. It relieved my RLS symptoms for that night. I hope that it might help you as well.