Poland Syndrome - Treatment and Surgery

Please share your experience with surgery to treat your Poland syndrome.

Please select the black triangle:

How is Poland syndrome treated?

Reconstructive surgery is the main treatment for those with Poland syndrome. Either existing chest muscle or transplanting muscle from another body area may be used to develop symmetry between the affected and unaffected side. If chest-wall ribs are underdeveloped or missing, bioengineered cartilage can be implanted to help give the chest a more normal appearance. Reconstructive surgery may be considered in males as young as 13 years of age. In females, in order to ensure breast similarity in size and character, reconstructive surgery is often postponed until breast development on the uninvolved side has been completed. Therapeutic tattooing can be uses to create the appearance of an areola and nipple.

Return to Poland Syndrome

Comment from: JAG, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 26

My son was diagnosed with Poland syndrome at the age of 9 months old. My older sister noticed the missing muscle on his right breast. So far, he is dealing with it pretty well. Most of the time he's oblivious to it. His condition does not interfere with his movement, and he's very active at 11 years old. He is a great soccer player. Once he cried about it but I told him that as long as his brain is intact, that is all that matters. I am not sure what the future holds for us, and I'm sure once he hits puberty, his attitude will change about his body. I just hope and pray that he will not be too conscious about it. I am working on building his self-esteem and telling him that he's a good looking young man and instill appreciation in him for what he has.

Comment from: Abigail Joy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

My treatment for Poland Syndrome began at age 3 where I was taken from my parents to a far away hospital and my fingers were separated one at a time with skin for between fingers being removed from my abdomen, thighs and other non hairy places. But always my own skin was used as far as I know, with care being not to mar me from ever wearing swim suits, etc. I use my hand as much as possible, including typing this. My heartfelt thanks go to the doctors who helped me when I was young. I am about to retire from a high profile job I have done for 50 years, helping all people 8 to 10 hours a day in the medical field.