Poland Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Poland syndrome.

Please select the black square:

What is Poland syndrome?

First described by the 19th-century British anatomist Sir Alfred Poland, Poland syndrome is a unique pattern of one-sided malformations that are present at birth (congenital malformations). Poland syndrome is noted for the underdevelopment or absence of the chest (pectoralis) muscles on one side of the body as well as webbing of the fingers (cutaneous syndactyly) on the hand of the same side (ipsilateral side) of the body.

Return to Poland Syndrome

Comment from: Grandma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was diagnosed at birth with absence of left breast and nipple. As I grew it was obvious that I had no large muscle in my left arm, my left arm is shorter than my right. I look as if I have had a radical mastectomy. I did not receive the diagnosis of Poland syndrome till I was aged 70. I contemplated surgery when I was 33 but was advised against it as it required long and prolonged recovery. However these days they know more about it.

Comment from: Marc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I have Poland's syndrome. I first became aware of it when I was ten or so and it has caused a lot of issues. I had a botched operation at 19, and had another one a year ago. My right breast muscle was missing, I have a slightly smaller muscle on the top of my arm and I think there are other things wrong, like I may have a shorter right leg. Anyway, it was very bad for my confidence. Operations are better these days and plastic surgeons are more aware. I had a simple silicone implant put in, after an initial operation to put a saline bag in to stretch the skin. I would say I look maybe 70 percent better, and I feel much more confident, though not always.