Poland Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Poland syndrome.

Please select the white circle:

What is Poland syndrome?

First described by the 19th-century British anatomist Sir Alfred Poland, Poland syndrome is a unique pattern of one-sided malformations that are present at birth (congenital malformations). Poland syndrome is noted for the underdevelopment or absence of the chest (pectoralis) muscles on one side of the body as well as webbing of the fingers (cutaneous syndactyly) on the hand of the same side (ipsilateral side) of the body.

Return to Poland Syndrome

Comment from: jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I knew from age 5 years old, that I looked different from guys my age. This bothered me because all the boys I went to school with had normal chests. I was missing my whole right pectoral muscle, the doctor had never seen this before. He was surprised, he told my parents that this occurs to 1 in every 700,000, people born. That was in 1974. At least I now have a name for it. I was informed that my body would twist and draw my upper body to the right similar to scoliosis as I get older, from the lack of support to the upper ribcage.

Comment from: B5423, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I believe I have this Poland syndrome. My pectoral muscles are underdeveloped, my left breast was absent, and my armpit hair for the left side grew crooked. I have no webbed hands or anything like that. I started wearing prosthetics growing up, in absence of my breast. At age 18, I underwent plastic surgery to have a breast implant. First surgery, they implanted a balloon to stretch the skin and filled it with saline every 2 weeks. Then, I actually got the implant. I"m currently under FDA study for this new type of implant. It"s been 5 years, and no problems. I feel like a normal woman.

Stay Informed!