Poland Syndrome - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Poland syndrome.

Please select the black triangle:

What is Poland syndrome?

First described by the 19th-century British anatomist Sir Alfred Poland, Poland syndrome is a unique pattern of one-sided malformations that are present at birth (congenital malformations). Poland syndrome is noted for the underdevelopment or absence of the chest (pectoralis) muscles on one side of the body as well as webbing of the fingers (cutaneous syndactyly) on the hand of the same side (ipsilateral side) of the body.

Return to Poland Syndrome

Comment from: B5423, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I believe I have this Poland syndrome. My pectoral muscles are underdeveloped, my left breast was absent, and my armpit hair for the left side grew crooked. I have no webbed hands or anything like that. I started wearing prosthetics growing up, in absence of my breast. At age 18, I underwent plastic surgery to have a breast implant. First surgery, they implanted a balloon to stretch the skin and filled it with saline every 2 weeks. Then, I actually got the implant. I"m currently under FDA study for this new type of implant. It"s been 5 years, and no problems. I feel like a normal woman.

Comment from: zoe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was diagnosed with Poland syndrome at the age of 14 because I only had one breast. I went to my doctor who wrote to a consultant, they wanted to wait for me to turn 18 before they would operate with an implant. Until I turned 16 I wore special implants for my bra. I got bullied. It's been 18 years since I had my operation and I am now in a lot of pain. My implant is M shaped and it makes a popping sound. I am trying to save the money for private implants as the government will only do one on the NHS.