Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

What are kidney cancer symptoms and signs?

Common symptoms of kidney cancer include:

• Blood in the urine (making the urine slightly rusty to deep red)
  • Pain in your side that doesn't go away
  • A lump or mass in the side or the abdomen
  • Weight loss for no known reason
  • Fever
  • Feeling very tired

These symptoms may be caused by kidney cancer or by other health problems, such as an infection or a kidney cyst. People with these symptoms should tell their doctor so that any problem can be diagnosed and treated as early as possible.

Return to Kidney Cancer

Comment from: Linda, Female (Patient) Published: April 21

When I was 51, I went for a routine colonoscopy. The doctor couldn't perform the test so he scheduled a CT scan with contrast to see if there was a reason why he couldn't get the scope through. Instead, they found a tumor on my right kidney, 8 cm. I had a right nephrectomy 3 weeks later. Once the cancer was found, some symptoms I had been having made sense. My blood pressure was usually low (106/60). I had been to the doctor for routine checkup and it was 120/80. I also went to the gym and easily did 4 miles on the treadmill. Suddenly, I couldn't bear to even move on the treadmill and was wondering why. I also had such fatigue, like early stages of pregnancy, at around 7:00 at night. I also had some vague pain in my lower back when I lay down. The cancer was found 5 months after the symptoms. It would have been a long time before those symptoms brought me to a doctor.

Comment from: Euni, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had frequent bladder infection for many years; in 2012 I also had soreness in my fishtail. My doctor ordered a sonogram, and saw a large mass in my right kidney. She sent me to a urologist, who did a CT scan, etc., and scheduled the kidney removal in February. 2013. The tumor was 6.7 cm, contained in the kidney with no cancer cells within 1/2 inch from removal, so no chemotherapy was ordered. They did a CT scan in the fall of 2013. In the fall of 2014, my family doctor ordered a CT scan, found a mass in left kidney, and then referred me to an oncologist. A PET scan was done; I was diagnosed with stage four cancer. I have several questions as to why I wasn't given chemotherapy, why I wasn't referred to the oncologist, and most of all, why I didn't seek second or third opinions! I trusted the urologist too much!