Kidney Cancer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of kidney cancer?

What are kidney cancer symptoms and signs?

Common symptoms of kidney cancer include:

• Blood in the urine (making the urine slightly rusty to deep red)
  • Pain in the side that does not go away
  • A lump or mass in the side or the abdomen
  • Weight loss
  • Fever
  • Feeling very tired or having a general feeling of poor health

Most often, these symptoms do not mean cancer. An infection, a cyst, or another problem also can cause the same symptoms. A person with any of these symptoms should see a doctor so that any problem can be diagnosed and treated as early as possible.

Return to Kidney Cancer

Comment from: ljfcirc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1998 I injured my shoulder bowling and had to have a body scan. They noticed a mass on my left kidney. It turns out I had renal cell carcinoma. I was in total shock. I had experienced no symptoms whatsoever. I had my left kidney removed. I was 38 years old. I am now 54 and have been cancer free for 16 years. I now see my shoulder injury as divine intervention!

Comment from: travlermjw, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My husband, age 71, had a partial nephrectomy 5 weeks ago and is doing great. The tumor margins were clear for clear cell carcinoma, but it had invaded the paranephric fat on top of the kidney. That was removed also and that is all the treatment he will get. The doctor said he will have a CT scan in June followed by every three month checkups including chest x-ray, blood work etc. The one thing I wanted to mention which is never mentioned in regard to kidney cancer is the foul odor of the urine. Before it was discovered accidentally that he had blood in his urine, we both noticed a very rancid odor to his urine. We mentioned this to the doctor but was poo-pooed and told that it was nothing without even checking him out. We mentioned this one year before his actual diagnosis of kidney cancer. Guess what, there is no odor since he had the surgery. Good luck everyone!