Color Blindness - Other Problems

Please describe any other problems associated with your color blindness.

Please select the black square:

Does Color Blindness Cause Other Health Problems?

The kind of color blindness that is present at birth does not lead to additional vision loss or total blindness. But because the cone cells of the retina are also used to see fine details, people who are colorblind tend to have vision that is less sharp. The rod cells also tend to be "overloaded" by bright light, so tinted eyeglasses often help color-blind people to see better.

If you think you have a problem with color vision, you should schedule an appointment with an eye doctor right away. The doctor will be able to tell you whether you are seeing colors properly and what to do if you are not.

Reviewed by the doctors at The Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Institute.

Edited by Charlotte E. Grayson, MD, WebMD, October 2004.

Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic 2000-2004
Return to Color Blindness

Comment from: Zack, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My mother's side grandfather is red green colorblind and his trait fell to me (thanks genes!). I always have problems in video games where red and green objects are moving around. I also had a time where I grabbed a brown hoodie for St. Patrick's Day instead of a green one. I also learned that I can't be a fighter jet pilot or a welder (at least not at my job). These are the only real problems and I usually laugh it off with others if caught having problems.