Chronic Rhinitis - Causes

What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?

What causes rhinitis?

Rhinitis has many possible causes. Rhinitis can be either acute or chronic, and is categorized into three areas: allergic rhinitis, non-allergic rhinitis, and mixed rhinitis, which is a combination of the previous two.

Allergic rhinitis is the most common cause of rhinitis, afflicting more than 32 million Americans. It is caused by environmental allergies and is characterized by an itchy/runny nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion. Other allergic symptoms include:

• itchy ears and throat,
  • Eustachian tube problems (the tube connecting the inner ear to the back of the throat),
  • red/watery eyes,
  • cough,
  • fatigue/loss of concentration/lack of energy from loss of sleep, and
  • headaches or facial tenderness (not typical).

People with allergic rhinitis also have a higher incidence of asthma and eczema, which are also mainly allergic in origin.

Seasonal allergic rhinitis (hay fever) is usually caused by pollen in the air, and sensitive patients have symptoms during peak times during the year.

Perennial allergic rhinitis, a type of chronic rhinitis is a year-round problem, and is often caused by indoor allergens (particles that cause allergies), such as dust and animal dander in addition to pollens that may exist at the time. Symptoms tend to occur regardless of the time of the year.

Return to Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have rhinitis and sinusitis, and now they seem to be getting worse. I can't stand, walk, or do any normal things in life without my nose pouring. If I lay or sit down, the mucous goes down the back of my throat and makes me gag. I can't sleep, and stay home from work because I work at a health center and deal with patients. I don't know what to do. I am on doxycycline, cetirizine, and rinse with salt water. It seems like nothing works.

Comment from: DotV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I use to be allergic to cats. My symptoms got really bad during allergy season. I was sent to a specialist where I was told that my sinuses were to blame. I have an air purifier and an air conditioner. I do have carpet. I'm allergic to every kind of pollen. I take fluticasone and loratadine. I miss living in the northwest where my allergies weren't a problem.

Stay Informed!