Chronic Rhinitis - Causes

What causes or triggers your case of post-drip or chronic rhinitis (for example, pollen, animal dander, other allergies)?

Please select the black square:

What causes rhinitis?

Rhinitis has many possible causes. Rhinitis can be either acute or chronic, and is categorized into three areas: allergic rhinitis, non-allergic rhinitis, and mixed rhinitis (a combination of allergic and non-allergic).

Allergic rhinitis is the most common cause of rhinitis. It is caused by environmental allergies and is characterized by an itchy or runny nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion. Other allergic symptoms include:

• itchy ears and throat,
  • red or watery eyes,
  • cough,
  • fatigue/loss of concentration/lack of energy from loss of sleep, and
  • headaches or facial tenderness (not typical).

People with allergic rhinitis also have a higher incidence of asthma and eczema, which are also mainly allergic in origin.

Seasonal allergic rhinitis (hay fever) is usually caused by pollen in the air, and sensitive patients have symptoms during peak times during the year.

Perennial allergic rhinitis, a type of chronic rhinitis is a year-round problem, and is often caused by indoor allergens (particles that cause allergies), such as dust and animal dander in addition to pollens that may exist at the time. Symptoms tend to occur regardless of the time of the year.

Return to Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip

Comment from: DotV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I use to be allergic to cats. My symptoms got really bad during allergy season. I was sent to a specialist where I was told that my sinuses were to blame. I have an air purifier and an air conditioner. I do have carpet. I'm allergic to every kind of pollen. I take fluticasone and loratadine. I miss living in the northwest where my allergies weren't a problem.

Comment from: Mont, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I am very allergic to bird feathers and was exposed to a couple of exotic birds for around an hour and immediately the post-drip started.