Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments

What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for a Dupuytren's contracture?

The treatment of a Dupuytren's contracture depends on the severity and the underlying condition of the affected individual.

Most patients with a Dupuytren's contracture require reassurance and stretching exercises with heat application. When the palm is persistently sore with grasping, ultrasound treatments can be helpful. Sometimes local inflammation is best relieved with cortisone injection.

For patients with significant fixed flexed posture (contracture) of the fingers from a Dupuytren's contracture, when nonsurgical treatments have failed, surgical procedures can remove the scarred tissue to free the fingers and release the tendons. These procedures can return function to a disabled hand. Minor nodule formation and/or skin thickening of the palm is not a reason to operate. Sometimes the surgeon can release the scarred tissue by carefully cutting it with a needle. This procedure is referred to as a needle aponeurotomy or needle fasciotomy.

A newer treatment for a Dupuytren's contracture is collagenase (Xiaflex) injection. The scar tissue that forms the contracture is composed of a protein network called collagen. Collagenase is an enzyme that breaks up the collagen, which can then loosen the contracted tissue to restore finger mobility. Collagenase is directly injected into the contracted "cord" of scar tissue that causes the Dupuytren's contracture.

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: marquex, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have Dupuytren's contracture in both hands and have had 2 surgeries. I was advised to put the surgery off as long as possible, which I did, but obviously too long. I had the first surgery by plastic surgeon that left my hand, ring and little finger very thickly scarred. Then about 4 years later I had the 2nd surgery on the same place and it went better; not as much hard-ridge scarring. But my fingers want to be pulled to the palm more than straight. The left hand is now very lumpy and you can see the cords pulling in different ways. I have thought of the injections but hear of expense and pain. I would like to know of the natural medicines someone wrote about on this sire. I am a true believer in alternative medicine.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My doctor sent me to a physiotherapist for exercises for Dupuytren"s contracture I could learn that might stave it off for a while because I can"t afford to give up work yet. The physiotherapist saw me 5 times. She massaged the lump that had grown from the top of the palm to the first knuckle on my little finger and that hurt. She stretched it out and back and I felt it up to my elbow, which is where the tendon is connected to she said. Then she made up a splint to use at night so I wouldn"t sleep with my hand all curled up. She told me to massage and stretch it every hour if I could (which I don"t). She said to use heat packs to soften/loosen it up as well when I massage it. After a hot shower is a good time to massage while it"s more flexible. There is a noticeable decrease in the size of the lump now and my finger is definitely not as contracted as it was.