Dupuytren's Contracture - Treatments

What types of treatment, including injections, have helped with Dupuytren's contracture in you or a loved one?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for a Dupuytren's contracture?

The treatment of a Dupuytren's contracture depends on the severity and the underlying condition of the affected individual.

Most patients with a Dupuytren's contracture require reassurance and stretching exercises with heat application. When the palm is persistently sore with grasping, ultrasound treatments can be helpful. Sometimes local inflammation is best relieved with cortisone injection.

For patients with significant fixed flexed posture (contracture) of the fingers from a Dupuytren's contracture, when nonsurgical treatments have failed, surgical procedures can remove the scarred tissue to free the fingers and release the tendons. These procedures can return function to a disabled hand. Minor nodule formation and/or skin thickening of the palm is not a reason to operate. Sometimes the surgeon can release the scarred tissue by carefully cutting it with a needle. This procedure is referred to as a needle aponeurotomy or needle fasciotomy.

A newer treatment for a Dupuytren's contracture is collagenase (Xiaflex) injection. The scar tissue that forms the contracture is composed of a protein network called collagen. Collagenase is an enzyme that breaks up the collagen, which can then loosen the contracted tissue to restore finger mobility. Collagenase is directly injected into the contracted "cord" of scar tissue that causes the Dupuytren's contracture.

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I've had great success with my Dupuytren's contracture massaging in Bio Oil for 5 minutes or so at night. When my scar tightened and puckered so much it was causing pain especially on flattening my hand I started rubbing in Bio Oil. It was nightly but now only weekly. The pain and tightening goes almost straight away. I believe it works by breaking down the excess collagen or at least making it suppler. It's been a huge relief for me as my hand still works well without any pain. I'd love to hear of others' experience with this.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

No treatment was successful for my Dupuytren's contracture. I had five surgeries over 20 years and, ultimately, Xiaflex injections (extremely painful procedures). Until the etiology of this disease is established, surgeons only treat the symptoms and not the underlying cause.