Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Please select the white circle:

What is a Dupuytren's contracture?

A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue around the tendons that flex the fingers beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring accumulates in a tissue (palmar fascia) that normally covers the tendons that pull the fingers to grip. As a Dupuytren's contracture progresses, more of the fascia becomes thickened and shortened. Dimpling and puckering of the skin over the area eventually occurs and ultimately can make it impossible to fully extend the fingers (as in laying the hand flat on a tabletop).

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: Balkandeputy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

I've had Dupuytren's contracture in my right hand between my thumb and first finger for over 10 years. I can feel the cord, but as of yet my hand has not had any closing problems. Now the same can be felt in the same location on my left hand. My major problem now for the last 5 months is I seem to have developed Peyronie's disease. I was about to bring a medical malpractice suit against my urologist since I first believed it was a result of 2 bladder operations to cauterize an ulcer. I now see that this disease can be associated with having Dupuytren's contracture.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My husband is 46 years old and has recently been experiencing pain in his hands. I am an occupational therapist and was able to identify the onset of Dupuytren's contracture and immediately sent him to an orthopedic upper extremity specialist. He told him what I already knew, nothing can really be done at this stage. My husband is an avid guitar player and was so upset he began researching. For the last 30 years doctors in Europe have been using low dose radiotherapy with really good results. This treatment is only available to people in the early stages of Dupuytren's with no more than a 5 degree loss of range of motion. The treatment has been available in the United States for at least 5 years and we were able to find a local radiation oncologist who does the treatment. Our orthopedic surgeon is excellent, but radiation is not in his scope of practice and the information is not widely publicized, so I wanted to make everyone aware. The Dupuytren-online.info has more information.