Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a Dupuytren's contracture?

A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue around the tendons that flex the fingers beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring accumulates in a tissue (palmar fascia) that normally covers the tendons that pull the fingers to grip. As a Dupuytren's contracture progresses, more of the fascia becomes thickened and shortened. Dimpling and puckering of the skin over the area eventually occurs and ultimately can make it impossible to fully extend the fingers (as in laying the hand flat on a tabletop).

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: Buggs, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have suffered with Dupuytren's contracture in both hands since my late 20s. I had corrective surgery on three separate occasions on both hands and finally resorted to amputation of both little fingers. This final operation was the only one to be successful in both cases. No recurrence of the disease. I no longer poke myself in the eyes with bent pinkies.

Comment from: bowzer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had both hands operated on by an orthopedic surgeon for Dupuytren's contracture, the left hand first, then the right hand. Then it came back to the left hand and I had it operated on again. Now right hand is to the point of needing surgery again.