Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

What is a Dupuytren's contracture?

A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue around the tendons that flex the fingers beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring accumulates in a tissue (palmar fascia) that normally covers the tendons that pull the fingers to grip. As a Dupuytren's contracture progresses, more of the fascia becomes thickened and shortened. Dimpling and puckering of the skin over the area eventually occurs and ultimately can make it impossible to fully extend the hand (as in laying it flat on a tabletop).

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: bentfingers, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have Dupuytren"s in my right hand. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, my pinky started to bend in toward my palm. At first I thought I just had callus on the inside of my palm. I went to my health provider and my doctor diagnosed Dupuytren"s contracture. So now I have to see what options are available... since there is no cure my options are limited to either the injections or surgery.

Comment from: lou, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 66 and have had Dupuytren"s contracture for several years in both hands. My little and ring fingers are badly disfigured. Two fixes are available, shot and/or surgery. I am told both are painful. I have several bumps on both hands which do not seem to be connected to the 4 fingers involved. Will I be faced with treatment each time one of these bumps goes up another finger! The doctor said shot will not remove bumps. The bumps have gotten so large they impede movement. Sounds like I should just get used to the pain. I have other neurological issues that impact hand eye coordination. It looks like a 2 year old was sitting at our table when eating out. There is food everywhere. Getting old can be painful and embarrassing but it is much better than the alternative.