Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Please select the black square:

What is a Dupuytren's contracture?

A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue around the tendons that flex the fingers beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring accumulates in a tissue (palmar fascia) that normally covers the tendons that pull the fingers to grip. As a Dupuytren's contracture progresses, more of the fascia becomes thickened and shortened. Dimpling and puckering of the skin over the area eventually occurs and ultimately can make it impossible to fully extend the hand (as in laying it flat on a tabletop).

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: Oregon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have Dupuytren's in both hands. There is no family history of it. It hurts and I feel more needs to be said and researched on this ugly disease. I was lucky enough to find a doctor who first gave me enzyme injections and then I was able to find an oncologist radiologist to provide me with radiation treatment. I had to fight for 4 months to get doctors to listen to me but I finally got help. You have to get this in the very early stage or it won't help. My fingers are straight, the severe pulling is gone. How long will it last? No one knows, but if you get a few months with use of your hands it beats what life is like without the use of our fingers. I was told by the orthopedist to sit and look at my hands and call her when they got worse, so she could do surgery. Surgery is a last resort, I for one do not want to live without the use of my fingers. Dupuytren's is not curable (yet) but maybe we can put it in remission early on.

Comment from: bentfingers, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have Dupuytren"s in my right hand. I first noticed it about 5 years ago, my pinky started to bend in toward my palm. At first I thought I just had callus on the inside of my palm. I went to my health provider and my doctor diagnosed Dupuytren"s contracture. So now I have to see what options are available... since there is no cure my options are limited to either the injections or surgery.

Stay Informed!