Dupuytren's Contracture - Experience

Please describe your experience with Dupuytren's contracture.

Please select the white circle:

What is a Dupuytren's contracture?

A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue around the tendons that flex the fingers beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring accumulates in a tissue (palmar fascia) that normally covers the tendons that pull the fingers to grip. As a Dupuytren's contracture progresses, more of the fascia becomes thickened and shortened. Dimpling and puckering of the skin over the area eventually occurs and ultimately can make it impossible to fully extend the hand (as in laying it flat on a tabletop).

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: Umalapuma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am 65 years old. My father had Dupuytren's contracture that was severe and required surgery. He was a railroad switch man and used his hands to pull the switches. I noticed the bump on my left palm below my ring finger several years ago. Interestingly I also have a thickening on the tendons on the soles of both feet. Based on the information I read today, it sounds like I have Ledderhose's disease as well. Both of my sisters and my brother have the same bumps on their hands. They do not have any other symptoms, yet. I like to do weight training and think this might eventually aggravate the problems. I have recently noticed nerve tingling in my ring and pinkie finger. After reading information on this website, I am going to seek further medical evaluation!

Comment from: nana-2-2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 57 and have recently been diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture although I have had nodules in both hands for at least 2 years. The ones in my right hand have gotten worse and recently, I have noticed a thickening in the palm and my pinkie remains bent at the first joint a small amount. So far, the nodules are not painful, just annoying.