Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Please select the black triangle:

6 early signs and symptoms of diabetes

1. The early symptoms of untreated diabetes are related to elevated blood sugar levels, and loss of glucose in the urine. High amounts of glucose in the urine can cause increased urine output and lead to dehydration. Dehydration causes increased thirst and water consumption.
  2. The inability of insulin to perform normally has effects on protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism. Insulin is an anabolic hormone, that is, one that encourages storage of fat and protein.
  3. A relative or absolute insulin deficiency eventually leads to weight loss despite an increase in appetite.
  4. Some untreated diabetes patients also complain of fatigue, nausea and vomiting.
  5. Patients with diabetes are prone to developing infections of the bladder, skin, and vaginal areas.
  6. Fluctuations in blood glucose levels can lead to blurred vision. Extremely elevated glucose levels can lead to lethargy and coma.
Return to Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)

Comment from: karim H., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am a young man of 45 years now and I have been confirmed to have diabetes. Now I am having lots of symptom like weak erection, weakness of the body, dry lips and palms, and even restlessness in the legs and shrinking of my general body build ups. My head is itching very much now.

Comment from: Debbie m., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had back pain, kidney infections, yeast infection, night sweats, and insomnia. I thought I had a kidney infection, but a new doctor at the clinic suggested an A1C test and it turned out my blood sugar was in the 200s that morning. Here we are and I have diabetes.