Diabetes - Symptoms

The symptoms of diabetes can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Please select the black square:

What are diabetes symptoms?

• The early symptoms of untreated diabetes are related to elevated blood sugar levels, and loss of glucose in the urine. High amounts of glucose in the urine can cause increased urine output and lead to dehydration. Dehydration causes increased thirst and water consumption.
  • The inability of insulin to perform normally has effects on protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism. Insulin is an anabolic hormone, that is, one that encourages storage of fat and protein.
  • A relative or absolute insulin deficiency eventually leads to weight loss despite an increase in appetite.
  • Some untreated diabetes patients also complain of fatigue, nausea and vomiting.
  • Patients with diabetes are prone to developing infections of the bladder, skin, and vaginal areas.
  • Fluctuations in blood glucose levels can lead to blurred vision. Extremely elevated glucose levels can lead to lethargy and coma.
Return to Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)

Comment from: JKEsposito, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I am 35 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last summer. I took generally good care of myself and exercised on a regular basis. For at least the year before, I noticed that I had to urinate all the time, waking me up several times a night. In the month or so prior to being diagnosed, I lost 40 pounds and was thirsty all the time. One day I got extremely sick, could not keep anything down, had blurry vision, a rapid heartbeat, and began hyperventilating. My blood glucose level in the ER was in the high 500s and my A1C was 9.7. Since then, I have developed neuropathy, which makes life pretty difficult. If you have diabetes, take care of it.

Comment from: Lauren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

When I got diabetes at 22 I had weight loss, no energy and was thirsty all the time. I also could not eat and was never hungry.