Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of Ramsay Hunt syndrome?

The classic symptom that clinically distinguishes Ramsay Hunt syndrome is a red painful rash associated with blisters in the ears and facial paralysis (for example, eyelid or mouth) on one side of the face. Other symptoms such as ear pain, hearing loss, dizziness (or vertigo), dry eye, and changes in taste sensation may also occur.

Return to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Comment from: TJBord, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had Ramsay Hunt syndrome for about a month now. I am starting to get more movement on the left side of my face but I am still suffering from quite a bit of ear pain and now have pain down the left side of my neck. I can't seem to get enough sleep either. I appreciate hearing everyone's stories. I feel like I don't get good prognosis from the doctors, as to how long I am going to have to live with this, so it helps hearing everyone's different situations.

Comment from: sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome (RHS) when I was 27 and I am now 63. I had typical symptoms of blisters in my throat and facial paralysis on my right side. I was admitted to hospital with an excruciating headache and operated on to relieve the pressure on my facial nerve. I was in hospital for 2 weeks. At the time there wasn't a lot of information about the condition. I started to get a little movement in my face exactly six months later but have never fully regained the movement of the right side of my face. I hope these days there's a lot more that can be done for people who are struck with this dreadful condition.