Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of Ramsay Hunt syndrome?

The classic symptom that clinically distinguishes Ramsay Hunt syndrome is a red painful rash associated with blisters in the ears and facial paralysis (for example, eyelid or mouth) on one side of the face. Other symptoms such as ear pain, hearing loss, dizziness (or vertigo), dry eye, and changes in taste sensation may also occur.

Return to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My symptoms were nearly identical to Julie, but different progression: Day 1 - Constant bitter taste, bad right ear ache, tactile pain on and under the ear (antibiotic treatment). Day 3 - Malaise and nausea. Day 4 - Sudden right facial paralysis. Day 6 - Blister breakout in/on ear. I started acyclovir. It was not until I found this site that I went to the emergency room (ER) on a late Friday and told ER doctors what I had, and they prescribed antiviral. So far, two days later no improvement.

Comment from: Jo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

The crack of my ear was extremely itchy for about 4 days. I went to the doctors on the Monday and they said it was infected so gave me 500 mg flucloxacillin and also cream to put on it. The following Friday I had to go back to the doctors and it had got worse and all round my head was a strange sensation and I saw a different doctor and he knew straight away that it was Ramsay Hunt syndrome. He has prescribed me with acyclovir dispersible tablets 800 mg. I have been taking these for just over 3 days and the strange feelings have gone round my head and the blisters have scabbed over. I'm so relieved.