Ramsay Hunt Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Ramsay Hunt syndrome in you or someone you know?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of Ramsay Hunt syndrome?

The classic symptom that clinically distinguishes Ramsay Hunt syndrome is a red painful rash associated with blisters in the ears and facial paralysis (for example, eyelid or mouth) on one side of the face. Other symptoms such as ear pain, hearing loss, dizziness (or vertigo), dry eye, and changes in taste sensation may also occur.

Return to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Comment from: Jette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

It is now 5 years ago since I developed Ramsay Hunt syndrome RHS). I was rushed to hospital with seizures and severe vertigo. Within 2 days I developed facial paralysis down one side of my face affecting speech, hearing, ability to eat and drink, my eye sight, and my eye would not close. Anti-viral and other medications ensured that after a week I was able to get out of bed. My hearing improved. I was not given any support other than pain killers. After 5 months I returned to work as a teacher. The ignorance of my employer (I was then disabled) meant that I was eventually unable to work and my health deteriorated to being suicidal. I had CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), and gradually began to improve. I also paid for electro-nerve stimulation and exercises at a private clinic. Over time this has greatly improved my facial nerve. Exercise has improved my balance and confidence, and I now volunteer and make every effort to get my life back. People still question and think I have had a stroke and I tell them it is RHS. Of course they have never heard of it. Every day is still a challenge.

Comment from: japke, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

I'm a Swiss doctor in Africa. Six days ago I saw a child with chickenpox and said to myself, fortunately I've had chickenpox as a child. Within days Ramsay Hunt syndrome symptoms began; irritated right ear from glasses, a small area with blisters on the right side of my neck, pain attacks in neck and right ear, and since 10 hours facial paralysis (yesterday I drove for several hours with all 4 windows open). I treat it with MMS drops.