Coxsackie Virus - Treatment

What treatment did you or your child receive for a Coxsackie virus infection?

Is there any treatment for coxsackie virus infection?

There is no specific treatment for this typically self-limited disease (the symptoms resolve without specific antiviral treatment in about two to 10 days). However, symptomatic treatment (acetaminophen [Tylenol]) that reduces fever and discomfort is currently recommended. Mouthwashes and sprays may lessen the oral discomfort. Fluids are also suggested to prevent dehydration, however, acidic juices may irritate the mouth ulcers. Cold milk may sooth the oral discomfort. Some physicians use topical diphenhydramine (Benadryl)-containing gel or liquids to treat the hand and foot discomfort.

The relatively rare complications of coxsackie virus infections (for example, heart or brain infection) require special individualized treatments (possibly human immune globulin or specific antivirals, although such treatments are rare and not yet proved to be safe and effective with serious HFMD infections). These treatments are often administered by an infectious-disease doctor.

Return to Coxsackie Virus

Comment from: Rachel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Coxsackie made me feel like someone had hit me in the stomach with a baseball bat. I would bend double in severe pain that would last from about 1/2 minute to 10 minutes. The best cure I found was cooking my own food at home, being extremely clean with everything, drinking aloe juice, and using Pau d' Arco herbs for about 2 weeks to one month. I also have had mouth ulcers. When I was in the hospital I was diagnosed with stomach problem only to find out it was Coxsackie. I also got walking pneumonia.

Comment from: Ladycag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I caught Coxsackie from my 18 months old grandson. It started with a bad sore throat and chills on a Sunday night. Monday I was very tired, couldn't swallow, it felt like swallowing razor blades. Drinking was even worse than eating something soft. Tuesday I felt worse and I went to the general practitioner's office. He said I had a red throat, did strep test, which was negative but gave me Z-Pak. By 9:00 pm on Wednesday my hands hurt when put into hot water and very sensitive to touch anything. My feet started hurting so bad I couldn't walk. It felt like I was walking on glass! I had to put my feet on ice packs to try to relieve the burning all night! I was up all night. It keep getting worse. I couldn't walk on them at all. Then I started with an itch all over. I called my doctor on Thursday who confirmed Coxsackie, and he gave me pain medication and told me to take Benadryl for the itch. It was a virus and had to run its course. Instead of the Benadryl letting me sleep, it kept me up all night. I couldn't walk for 3 days, the pain was so intense! Then came the little red lesions on my hands and feet. Now my feet and hands started peeling for over a week. My hands have subsided but my feet just keep peeling, my calluses are peeling off in big pieces, ugly! I wonder how long this peeling will last. My feet still feel sensitive.