Coxsackie Virus - Experience

Please describe your experience with Coxsackie virus.

Please select the black triangle:

What is coxsackie virus?

Coxsackie virus is a member of the Picornaviridae family of viruses in the genus termed Enterovirus. Coxsackie viruses are subtype members of Enterovirus that have a single strand of ribonucleic acid (RNA) for its genetic material. The enteroviruses are also referred to as picornaviruses (pico means "small," so "small RNA viruses"). Coxsackie virus was first isolated from human feces in the town of Coxsackie, N.Y., in 1948 by G. Dalldorf. Coxsackie virus is also written as coxsackievirus in some publications.

Return to Coxsackie Virus

Comment from: DaveB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm 54, and I got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HMFD) from Coxsackie virus, from my 5 year old (who got it while in the hospital, of all places, having his adenoids removed). It started with a mild sore throat, then the next day a low-grade fever. Day 3, the fever was gone, but my throat was on fire, felt like strep throat. Day 4, my throat was still painful, and I noticed some prickly little bumps on my fingers. After a trip to the Urgent Care to rule out strep throat, they told me I had probably picked up Coxsackie virus from my son, and that it would clear up on its own. Day 7 and all clear!

Comment from: acincy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

With Coxsackie virus, on day 1 I had sore lip. Day 2 and 3, there was yellowish whitish canker sore on my lip and a tiny little blister on my tongue (like when you eat something acidic like pineapple). I thought nothing of it and kept going to work. Day 4 and 5, I got a sore throat and a few more painful sores in my mouth. It hurt to eat and drink. Day 6, I had fever 99 F to 100 F range, body aches, chills, and swollen gums/jaw area. On day 7 fever subsided, I had a mild headache, was still a little achy, tongue got multiple blisters and was more swollen. Day 8, I had mild chest pain, gums are so swollen, and it hurts to eat. Tongue blisters are starting to shrink. I had to take pain pills just about every night otherwise I would wake up because my mouth and lips hurt.