Reye's Syndrome - Experience and Concerns

Do you avoid taking aspirin and giving it to your children for fear of developing Reye's syndrome? Please share your concerns.

Please select the black square:

What is Reye's syndrome?

Reye's syndrome is a rare but often severe and even fatal illness that primarily occurs in children and adolescents. Children diagnosed with Reye's syndrome generally present with vomiting and mental-status changes. The illness can resolve spontaneously or progress to coma and death. Although the cause is still unclear, studies have identified that there is a relationship between some viral infections and the use of aspirin medications. The CDC recommended educating parents about the dangers of treating children with aspirin in the 1980s, and now the disease occurs very rarely. The syndrome was initially described in 1963 by Dr. Ralph Douglas Reye.

Return to Reye's Syndrome

Comment from: janus, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My son has been diagnosed with Kawasaki disease. After he received treatment his cardiac pediatrician advised us to give him aspirin due to the enlargement of an artery. We are looking for other options to avoid giving him aspirin.

Comment from: mom, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had Reye's when I was 16 and I got arthritis in my knees from it. I was the 1st one in the state of WI to have it. I'm now 53 the doctor told my parents that I was spoiled & sent them home only to be called right back to let them know this is what I had.