Baker Cyst - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Baker cyst?

What are symptoms of a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst may cause no symptoms or be associated with knee pain and/or tightness behind the knee, especially when the knee is extended or fully flexed. Baker cysts are usually visible as a bulge behind the knee that is particularly noticeable on standing and when compared to the opposite uninvolved knee. They are generally soft and minimally tender.

Baker cysts can become complicated by protrusion of fluid down the leg between the muscles of the calf (dissection). The cyst can rupture, leaking fluid down the inner leg to sometimes cause the appearance of a painless bruise on the inner ankle. Baker cyst dissection and rupture are frequently associated with swelling of the leg and can mimic phlebitis of the leg. A ruptured Baker cyst typically causes rapid-onset swelling of the leg.

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had two ruptured Baker's cysts, one 9 years ago, my leg went black; and the other three and half years back. The last one left me with damaged nerves and the sole of my foot numb. I have never felt pain like it, the pain wouldn"t leave me alone for over a week. I get pins and needles, and throbbing. Some days it feels like I"m walking with a brick in my foot and some days like a sponge. I wouldn"t wish this on anyone. The consultant said there is nothing he can do for me.

Comment from: Jenna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was in the middle of a high impact aerobics class when all of a sudden there was a painful sensation in my left knee. After touching behind the knee, I felt a soft bump. It"s been about 7 months since that day. I"ve been resting it a lot especially in the last 3 months due to having foot surgery on that leg. Feeling better last week, I went back to my aerobics class and stuck to low impact only. Unfortunately, the Baker"s cyst returned in full force once again. It"s really more of a stiff sensation than all out pain, unless I try to work out on the leg extension machine. Then there is pain and very little strength in my leg.