Rotator Cuff Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms that led to a diagnosis of rotator cuff disease?

What are symptoms of rotator cuff disease?

The most common symptom of rotator cuff disease is shoulder pain. The pain is often noticed gradually and may be first noticed even a day after the actual event which may have caused the injury. Sometimes, a sudden pain occurs during a sport activity. The pain is usually located to the front and side of the shoulder and is increased when the shoulder is moved away from the body. The pain is usually noted to be more intense at nighttime and sometimes increases when lying on the affected shoulder. The pain can diminish range of motion and movement of the arm. The inflammation from the rotator cuff disease and the lack of movement due to pain can result in a frozen shoulder. There can also be tenderness in the area of the inflamed tendons of the injured rotator cuff.

People with rotator cuff disease usually find it difficult to lift the arm away from the body fully. If the rotator cuff disease involves severe tears of the rotator cuff tendons, it can be impossible for the patient to hold the arm up because of pain and decreased function of the tendons and muscles.

Return to Rotator Cuff Disease

Comment from: Will marry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was caring for my husband at home for 10 months, I was lifting him in and out of bed, and wheel chair. Towards his end he couldn"t help me, I was lifting him up in the bed, when I heard and felt something snap in my upper arm. The doctor diagnosed rotator cuff injury, I rested for a month, and I was sent to have injections, but the consultant said no. I am now in a lot of pain, very restricted mobility, and wake up at night with pain. I don"t know which is best, rest or exercise.

Stay Informed!