Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment and outlook for Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Patients with Osgood-Schlatter disease can be helped by antiinflammation and pain-relieving medications, ice, activity modification, and rest. Osgood-Schlatter disease typically goes away over time (months to years after the normal bone growth stops). Some adults who have had Osgood-Schlatter disease are left with "knobby" appearance to the front of the knee. In rare cases, if a bone fragment in this area continues to cause pain in adulthood, it may require surgery to remove.

Return to Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Comment from: Bianca, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was very young, probably around 8 or 9. So far I have gone through about 5 different types of braces and straps, have tried the immobilization treatment, gone through physical therapy, and even tried getting customized orthotics. After none of these treatments seemed to do anything, my doctors just told me to be patient and wait it out. Well, I am 20 now, it's been over 10 years and where am I now! In even more pain than when I was 9. I cannot sit for too long, I cannot stand for too long, kneeling is agony, and for some reason I can no longer stand to go out into the cold. I recently went to visit an orthopedic surgeon and found out that my knee has indeed finished growing, but part of my bone has not fused with the rest. So I am going to, as somebody stated in a previous post, 'trade my painful and ugly bump for an ugly scar'. My surgery is scheduled for the 14th of next month, and I am full of hope!