Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Osgood-Schlatter disease is felt to be due, in part, to recurrent pulling tension on the kneecap tendon by the bulky muscles of the front of the thigh. The irritation of this pulling can cause local pain, inflammation, swelling, and in severe cases, an enlarged area of calcification of the tendon where it attaches to the tibia that is visible with an X-ray test.

Return to Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Comment from: PSHR, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My son woke up screaming at the age of 6. He could not walk! I took him immediately to his pediatrician where he was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease. After a few days he was able to walk again! As a teenager in junior high and high school, sports were difficult but he began developing a lump below his knee cap. It caused a great deal of pain. After a while the pain subsided for the most part but the lump is quite prominent to this day. He is now 20 years old.

Comment from: FREE THE KNEE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter (OS) disease when I was very young, probably around 8 or 9. So far I have gone through about 5 different types of braces and straps, have tried the immobilization treatment, gone through physical therapy, and even tried getting customized orthotics. After none of these treatments seemed to do anything, my doctors just told me to be patient and wait it out. Well, I am 20 now, it has been over 10 years and where am I now! In even more pain than when I was 9. I cannot sit for too long, I cannot stand for too long, kneeling is awful, and for some reason I can no longer stand to go out into the cold. I recently went to visit an orthopedic surgeon and found out that my knee has indeed finished growing, but part of my bone has not fused with the rest. So I am going to, as somebody stated in a previous post, 'trade my painful and ugly bump for an ugly scar'. My surgery is scheduled for the 14 of next month, and I am full of hope! Take care of the pain my fellow OS people, but don't dwell so much on the appearance! Good luck to all of you and your lumps, and remember, it is our right to free the knee!