Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Osgood-Schlatter disease is felt to be due, in part, to recurrent pulling tension on the kneecap tendon by the bulky muscles of the front of the thigh. The irritation of this pulling can cause local pain, inflammation, swelling, and in severe cases, an enlarged area of calcification of the tendon where it attaches to the tibia that is visible with an X-ray test.

Return to Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Comment from: Vince, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

This may not sound right but I am glad to connect with others who are going through the same painful symptoms caused by Osgood-Schlatter disease (OS). I grew up in a very poor household and my OS was never diagnosed. My brother had it and eventually went to a doctor who told him that there was nothing he could do. So I figured what's the point. Now at 49, my OS is very painful when I am exercising. The bumps jut out from my knee about 1.5 inches and never have gone away as I read in most medical sites. In addition, I have read many testimonials from others who have undergone surgery to remove the tibial bump but I would have to say that the overwhelming majority have recounted that the operation was not effective. So, I am resigned to living with these bumps as I really feel that modern medicine simply cannot help with this condition. If there is a doctor out there that can tell me otherwise I gladly would like to hear from them.

Comment from: karen d l, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I'm 52, female, and like everyone else was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter (OS) disease as a child. I did sport and rode horses in pain free times, had to rest in others. The bump on my right knee is easily an inch in protrusion. I have no pain unless I knock it, then it is agony. I tripped on uneven paving two days ago, and landed hard on my knees. Now I have massive swelling, deep bruising on the back of my knee and can hardly walk, have next to no movement in my knee, and extreme pain. My left knee had the same impact and is fine. My job requires me to stand all day, not fun at the moment. This is lifelong legacy of OS, no matter how careful you are, knowing only a knock can totally disable you, when it happens it is terrible.