Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Osgood-Schlatter disease is felt to be due, in part, to recurrent pulling tension on the kneecap tendon by the bulky muscles of the front of the thigh. The irritation of this pulling can cause local pain, inflammation, swelling, and in severe cases, an enlarged area of calcification of the tendon where it attaches to the tibia that is visible with an X-ray test.

Return to Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Comment from: hurtingbad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

In 1972 I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease and the doctor used 14 needles, 7 in each knee to draw what he called fluid from the knees which hurt terribly. Afterwards, I was put in a full leg cast right leg first, but it didn"t change anything. After that swimming therapy was introduced; no change, all the time I am swelling up and lying down with ice bags. Then I was shot full in both knees with cortisone - again just pain no gain. By the age of 12, doctors said I would grow out of it. So from 13 to adult I never was able to finish a sport, play any game for too long before knees would swell up, lost my social friends. Then after 2 years of being inactive, I wrestled for a season. It hurt everyday but I did it. Now I am 52 and in pain daily still cannot do stairs or long standing or running, getting up from sitting too long. Now my eye is blurry and diabetes is evident.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I developed Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was about 11, in my right knee. For the first three years or so, any time my knee touched anything it almost sent me through the roof with nerve pain. It was hard to breathe. I never received any treatment for it, and I have a substantial calcification below my right kneecap. Despite risk of pain, I was extremely physically active and continue to be active today. In general, I do not have pain associated with the calcification and it does not seem to impede my activity. I guess I got lucky.

Stay Informed!