Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Osgood-Schlatter disease is felt to be due, in part, to recurrent pulling tension on the kneecap tendon by the bulky muscles of the front of the thigh. The irritation of this pulling can cause local pain, inflammation, swelling, and in severe cases, an enlarged area of calcification of the tendon where it attaches to the tibia that is visible with an X-ray test.

Return to Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Comment from: Hannah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have, today, been diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease at the age of 36! I pretty much gave up any athletic sport at age 12 when diagnosed with leukemia at which point, I stopped growing (I am pretty much same height now as I was then). I had no symptoms until I was 17 at which point I was told it was cartilage due to being a bit overweight. I have suffered with pain since but only developed lump in knee about 6 months ago and severe pain approximately 1 year ago. I am now in constant pain which is worse when resting. I am not sure what will happen now as I have to see a specialist but can't seem to find other people's experiences that match mine. Everyone else seems to have been physically active when symptoms started! Diagnosis came from MRI. I wonder if diagnosis could be wrong.

Comment from: DrGPS2016, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a disabled veteran diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease at the age of 47. This started with testosterone injections when I was 42 and the growth in my right leg began shortly thereafter. I have always had low testosterone, but it had not been diagnosed until 2011. After testosterone replacement therapy was started, the symptoms began and have continued. A recent full body bone scan for a separate issue identified the area as still growing, which we already knew, but at least had some medical confirmation. No one in the VA seems to be aware of how to treat the condition as it is considered primarily for young boys. I am seeking advice on where I can get treatment for this since I am now in a knee brace due to ever-growing pain from the tendon being pulled, in addition the growth (now 2' long by 1/2' wide by 1/2' tall) pulling on the skin. I am not physically active and have been walking with a cane for years due to ankle problems with that leg for more than 15 years. Walking, driving, or any impact on the leg increases the pain around the knee.