Osgood-Schlatter Disease - Symptoms

Were you diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease? What were your symptoms associated with the disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Osgood-Schlatter disease is felt to be due, in part, to recurrent pulling tension on the kneecap tendon by the bulky muscles of the front of the thigh. The irritation of this pulling can cause local pain, inflammation, swelling, and in severe cases, an enlarged area of calcification of the tendon where it attaches to the tibia that is visible with an X-ray test.

Return to Osgood-Schlatter Disease

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I developed Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was about 11, in my right knee. For the first three years or so, any time my knee touched anything it almost sent me through the roof with nerve pain. It was hard to breathe. I never received any treatment for it, and I have a substantial calcification below my right kneecap. Despite risk of pain, I was extremely physically active and continue to be active today. In general, I do not have pain associated with the calcification and it does not seem to impede my activity. I guess I got lucky.

Comment from: MissJP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 12 maybe 13 years old. I'm now 38! I first noticed that I couldn't kneel down directly on my knees the pain was unbearable, then came the pain, and soreness; it was constant. I was often crying with the pain and unable to sleep at night. Just below my knees I have these unsightly boney lumps and I still have these now. People often say I have an extra knee cap. I am limited to what I can wear as I need to cover my knees always! I was referred to a specialist and was put in plaster cast for 6 weeks, he wanted to slow me down, he wrote to my school informing them I was not to do absolutely any physical education (PE) lessons at all; I also had to go for physiotherapy twice a week at the hospital. The specialist said he could operate but it would mean swapping the lump for nasty scars. None of the above helped. The pain did eventually stop when I was around 19. However if I don't get enough sleep my knees will ache! I still cannot kneel down, or in fact put any weight on my knees at all. I would love to experience life without my lumps getting in the way. Oh by the way, I am female!