Schatzki's Ring - Treatment

Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.

What treatment is for Schatzki Ring?

Management of these rings involves procedures that will stretch or fracture these rings, thus allowing freer passage of solid food. Stretching or fracturing can be performed with endoscopes or tapered dilators inserted through the mouth, also by deflated balloons that are placed across the ring and are then blown up. Open surgery is hardly ever necessary to handle these rings.

Return to Schatzki's Ring

Comment from: golfmajest, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was just diagnosed with Schatzki's ring during an endoscopy procedure. I have been having food get stuck in my throat and horrible pain in the upper part of my abdomen. I thought I was having a heart attack one night, it was so bad and I have had to make myself throw up to get the food out of there. My doctor stretched my entire esophagus and this is supposed to help keep the food from getting caught in there. Hopefully this will help.

Comment from: Swann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring three years ago. I had a terrifying choking episode in a restaurant while on vacation in Italy (pasta). My mother and grandmother also had this. I never ever had symptoms of heartburn, but after an endoscopy, the doctor put me on Prilosec and it really helps. I'm concerned that it may interfere with calcium absorption, but if I go even a few days without it, the choking begins again. The last time I tried to stop taking it, I almost wound up in the emergency room. It was very frightening.