Schatzki's Ring - Treatment

Were you or a relative diagnosed with Schatzki's ring? Please describe the treatment.

Please select the white circle:

What treatment is for Schatzki Ring?

Management of these rings involves procedures that will stretch or fracture these rings, thus allowing freer passage of solid food. Stretching or fracturing can be performed with endoscopes or tapered dilators inserted through the mouth, also by deflated balloons that are placed across the ring and are then blown up. Open surgery is hardly ever necessary to handle these rings.

Return to Schatzki's Ring

Comment from: Gramma Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

About a decade ago I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring and have had several dilation procedures done since. They do help as does Prilosec. However, I still choke, especially if I'm pretty hungry and eat too fast. If I am very careful to chew my food thoroughly and not eat too fast I do better. I also choke on pills, tablets or large supplements. Capsules go down better and soft-gels are best. Some things I've found that help me break up the "log-jam" are jumping on a mini-trampoline or better yet, twisting my torso in any way I can - especially rotating at the waist as far as I can from left to right. Bending at the waist from side to side can also help. Anything you can do to stretch or twist the esophagus seems to help.

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I always had trouble swallowing. I remember walking to elementary school while eating an apple, it stuck in my esophagus, I drank from a puddle in the middle of the road to force the apple down. Every bite of food was followed by a sip of liquid to push it through. In my early forties I was diagnosed with Schatzki's ring and started dilatation (once or twice a year). I am now 47 and have been taking Pantoloc 40mg/once daily. I no longer have problems swallowing, even go through 3 daily meals drinking no liquids just to test if the Pantoloc is working. I know from reading reviews that not everyone responds the same to a given medication, but Pantoloc changed my life for the better.