Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for trigger finger?

Stretching, ice, and anti-inflammation treatments can be helpful. Oral antiinflammatory medications that may be helpful include naproxen, ibuprofen, diclofenac, and others.

The quickest and most effective treatment is a local cortisone injection into the tendon sheath around the affected tendon. Most patients will respond positively to the cortisone injection, but this may only be a temporary response. When a trigger finger persists after two injections and is not responsive to the above treatments, surgical procedures to release the tendon sheath and/or remove the inflamed or scarred tissue are considered. Surgical intervention is usually a permanent cure for this condition.

Return to Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)

Comment from: zander, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have had trigger finger twice in the same finger, I had 1 steroid injection under ultrasound. Now I have to go back to have another, 8 weeks later. It is beginning to get old fast, the finger no longer works. Better off losing the finger, than going on steroid injections all the time.

Comment from: unknown, Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am almost 13 years old and have trigger thumb. I don't have a secondary condition (diabetes, arthritis, etc.) I got a steroid shot for it and that didn't work so now I am getting surgery in a couple of weeks and being put under anesthesia. The doctor doesn't know how I got it and thinks it is very weird because I'm so young and don't have any other issues.