Trigger Finger - Treatments

What types of treatment, including medication or injections, did you receive for your trigger finger?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for trigger finger?

Stretching, ice, and anti-inflammation treatments can be helpful. Oral antiinflammatory medications that may be helpful include naproxen, ibuprofen, diclofenac, and others.

The quickest and most effective treatment is a local cortisone injection into the tendon sheath around the affected tendon. Most patients will respond positively to the cortisone injection, but this may only be a temporary response. When a trigger finger persists after two injections and is not responsive to the above treatments, surgical procedures to release the tendon sheath and/or remove the inflamed or scarred tissue are considered. Surgical intervention is usually a permanent cure for this condition.

Return to Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)

Comment from: Lina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My diagnosed trigger finger started very early in the mornings. I would feel pain when trying to open and close my hands. I would also feel a feeling as if my hand was asleep. The pain and numbness would jump from hand to hand. One of my fingers locked and I had it, so I went to my doctor and was given a shot. This was a week ago, now my pinkies are snapping and my hands still feel the pain; especially in the mornings, and I have no strength.

Comment from: AAA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I had symptoms typical of trigger finger. Having discussed with the surgeon I opted for injection therapy. This was carried out with good effect. I had good relief of symptoms for upward of five months and now the symptoms have recurred. Now I'm thinking of going for the permanent surgical treatment.

Stay Informed!