Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

What are symptoms of trigger finger?

Symptoms of trigger finger may occur when any of the four fingers of the hand attempts to flex closed while gripping. Instead of a smooth, continual closure, the digit hesitates, then snaps closed. When attempting to extend the digit, a similar hesitation may occur before it "snaps" into full extension. In severe cases, the digits must be manually brought into full extension or flexion. The closure is frequently associated with pain at the base of the digit on the palm of the hand. Triggering can also affect the thumb.

Return to Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)

Comment from: Davis4325, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I broke my wrist back in December of 2015. I have pins and a T-plate in my wrist to help me heal my radius bone. I've been going to therapy since December. I have gain some mobility back, but have popping and snapping going on in my wrist. Recently I have my (left hand) ring finger experiencing trigger finger. My fingers are really swollen, been working on stretching and bending and now I am experiencing trigger finger. I can't straighten out my finger, I need help popping the tendon and finger back to where it should be. So over this injury.

Comment from: Painful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and trigger finger. From my research I've learn that with trigger finger one finger is in a bent position. However, in the morning I can't bend my four fingers. It usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes before I can bend them but the pain and tightness in joints are there all day. Maybe I need to visit the doctor again. This been going on for months now.