Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

What are symptoms of trigger finger?

Symptoms of trigger finger may occur when any of the four fingers of the hand attempts to flex closed while gripping. Instead of a smooth, continual closure, the digit hesitates, then snaps closed. When attempting to extend the digit, a similar hesitation may occur before it "snaps" into full extension. In severe cases, the digits must be manually brought into full extension or flexion. The closure is frequently associated with pain at the base of the digit on the palm of the hand. Triggering can also affect the thumb.

Return to Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)

Comment from: GettingBetter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have trigger finger in my middle finger of left (non-dominant) hand. I had two cortisone injections, which helped for a while, then the situation returned. My hand was swollen and sore. I could not extend nor contract that middle finger properly. I had surgery three weeks ago and am healing nicely. My hand is still swollen, but that is expected. No triggering! I have finger exercises to stretch and exercise the tendon. I feel better every day. The surgeon remarked that my case was 'textbook classic trigger finger'.

Comment from: bena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't know how or why the trigger finger started, could be from my antibiotics or maybe fasting. I started to have pain in my thumb and it would bend, and I would have to straighten it out painfully. The pain would usually go away when I move my fingers, but limited movement will cause the triggering effects. Ibuprofen helps a little. I am thinking of getting that shot.