Trigger Finger - Symptoms

What does a trigger finger feel like? Describe your symptoms associated with the condition.

What are symptoms of trigger finger?

Symptoms of trigger finger may occur when any of the four fingers of the hand attempts to flex closed while gripping. Instead of a smooth, continual closure, the digit hesitates, then snaps closed. When attempting to extend the digit, a similar hesitation may occur before it "snaps" into full extension. In severe cases, the digits must be manually brought into full extension or flexion. The closure is frequently associated with pain at the base of the digit on the palm of the hand. Triggering can also affect the thumb.

Return to Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)

Comment from: Skotatnite, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have severe pain in both hands late afternoon till morning. My hands will not straighten without force and with that there is severe pain. I have had carpal tunnel release in both hands and De Quervain's tendonitis release on the right. I am awaiting surgery on both hands to correct the trigger finger.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Mine started by feeling like I'd jammed my ring finger on my left hand. The pain grew worse as time passed and at night it would "draw" and be frozen in a bent position. There was no straightening it without excruciating pain. As it worsened, it felt like my finger and down into my palm was on fire. This also made it difficult to hold things, there was weakness in those joints that made it difficult to squeeze, pick up or hold anything. I can't close my fist. Every finger goes down except for that one finger. Anti-inflammatories are helping.