Ear Infection (Otitis Media) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with an ear infection in you or your child?

What are the symptoms of acute middle ear infection?

Young children with otitis media may be irritable, fussy, or have problems feeding or sleeping. Older children may complain about pain and fullness in the ear (earache). Fever may be present in a child of any age. These symptoms are often associated with signs of upper respiratory infection such as a runny or stuffy nose, or a cough.

The buildup of pus within the middle ear causes pain and dampens the vibrations of the eardrum (so there is usually temporary hearing loss during the infection).

Severe ear infections may cause the eardrum to rupture. The pus then drains from the middle ear into the ear canal. The hole in the eardrum from the rupture usually heals with medical treatment.

Return to Ear Infection (Otitis Media)

Comment from: whitewater, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I had a severe middle ear infection that wasn't painful, but felt like the side of my head was lopsided. I could barely hear out of my ear. I took the medicine my doctor prescribed for 10 days and still felt sick even vomited. After about a month it got better, but it was a very unpleasant.

Comment from: BHBURNIE, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I"ve been having something like pressure shooting through my ears for about 2 years. It"s gotten real bad now it's causing me to lose sleep at night or when I try to sleep in a chair, with my head bent to the side. As soon as lay down it starts. I have to keep moving from side to side until I lay on my back, sometimes it starts then. But then I have a lot of belching and then this pressure starts. It's like you take your hand and press your ear lobes in and you feel the air and noise. I am now with a doctor, he's going to put tube in there and see if it works. I am supposed to have Meniere's disease.