Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Please select the black square:

What is an aortic aneurysm?

An aortic aneurysm involves the aorta, the major artery that leaves the heart to supply blood to the body. An aortic aneurysm is a dilation or bulging of the aorta.

Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a 5 centimeter AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) found accidently while undergoing a CT scan for other issues. I am a 54 years old woman ex-smoker. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who operated immediately as an open surgery. I had 60 staples, from below my breast bone to above my pubic bone. My recovery was quick, I was 7 days in hospital, home afterwards. After the second week, I worked from home for 2 weeks, then went back to work on the 4th week. Incision is healing but gets very hot and hard, my stomach is still swollen and I get funny pains from time to time. I am told it is the nerve endings healing. I am now 8 weeks post operation. Funny I have read where this is a very dangerous and major operation right up there with open heart surgery, but for some reason never realized how dangerous an operation it was before I had the operation. Good thing, otherwise I would of been a wreck! Thank goodness it is over and I am pretty much back to normal. I can't wait for all the swelling to subside and my scar to fade!

Comment from: Teds, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a pain in my side, and felt constipated. X-ray showed a twisted colon, they did a CT scan to confirm and up popped a 4.8 cm X 6.5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, with signs of being close to bursting. No twisted colon, which I find strange. They also found a lump on my kidney, 3.5 cm that they think caused the initial pain. Currently I am scheduled for a stent repair in a few days. I would suggest everyone should be screened after age 60 at least, it would save a lot of lives.