Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Please select the white circle:

What is an aortic aneurysm?

An aortic aneurysm involves the aorta, the major artery that leaves the heart to supply blood to the body. An aortic aneurysm is a dilation or bulging of the aorta.

Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: Teds, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a pain in my side, and felt constipated. X-ray showed a twisted colon, they did a CT scan to confirm and up popped a 4.8 cm X 6.5 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm, with signs of being close to bursting. No twisted colon, which I find strange. They also found a lump on my kidney, 3.5 cm that they think caused the initial pain. Currently I am scheduled for a stent repair in a few days. I would suggest everyone should be screened after age 60 at least, it would save a lot of lives.

Comment from: Danny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 57, and ex-smoker. I went into hospital for stomach pain, x-ray showed I had diverticulitis, but they noticed an abdominal aortic aneurysm 7.5cm. They cured the infection which took three weeks of antibiotics, and then I went in for surgery which took 5 hours. They cut me just under the breastbone down around the navel and continued down. The surgery went very well, very little blood loss, and they inserted a stent and a Dacron graft. No issues or problems later. Everything turned out perfect. I am eating healthier and exercising regularly. Everything is good!