Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Please select the white circle:

What is an aortic aneurysm?

An aortic aneurysm involves the aorta, the major artery that leaves the heart to supply blood to the body. An aortic aneurysm is a dilation or bulging of the aorta.

Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: islander, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My dear dad had a routine screening for this (abdominal aortic aneurysm) in July 2013 and they discovered that he had an aneurysm 5cm in size. We live on a remote island and he travelled back and forth to the mainland several times over the next few months to meet with specialists and to have heart and lung tests. Eventually in November they decided he was far enough for the operation but still did not issue him with a date, by that time the aneurysm had grown to 6.5cm. He travelled back home to wait for a date for his operation but passed away a few days later. He was 66 years old and my mum was with him at the end. He was sick for three days before he died and the doctor who had seen him on the day of his death gave him anti sickness tablets instead if treating his aneurysm. He woke in pain during the night and asked my mum to call 999. He walked downstairs to wait for the ambulance but didn't make it to the local hospital in time, there was even an air ambulance waiting to take him to a bigger hospital but it was all too late.

Comment from: larelliott, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I"m a 26 year old female in perfect health. During a routine exam my doctor found an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I do not smoke, do not have high blood pressure or cholesterol, no one in my family that I'm aware of has ever had an AAA. I have been active in every sport there is. I have three kids and I'm not overweight. I'm 5 ft. 3, 115 lb. This just goes to show that this does not discriminate. Good luck to you all. Mine was found very early, only at 3.1 cm.