Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Experience

Please describe your experience with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.

Please select the black triangle:

What is an aortic aneurysm?

An aortic aneurysm involves the aorta, the major artery that leaves the heart to supply blood to the body. An aortic aneurysm is a dilation or bulging of the aorta.

Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: pattywac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had a heart attack in 2010, widow maker, with successful stent. Six months later after several urinary tract infections, abdominal CT showed 3.7 abdominal aortic aneurysm. It has been followed with ultrasound and CTs regularly, now up to 4 cm. Problem is I have back pain, side pain, and abdominal pain from chronic diarrhea and diverticulosis so I never know what is causing my pain.

Comment from: jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I had a 5 centimeter AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) found accidently while undergoing a CT scan for other issues. I am a 54 years old woman ex-smoker. I was referred to a vascular surgeon who operated immediately as an open surgery. I had 60 staples, from below my breast bone to above my pubic bone. My recovery was quick, I was 7 days in hospital, home afterwards. After the second week, I worked from home for 2 weeks, then went back to work on the 4th week. Incision is healing but gets very hot and hard, my stomach is still swollen and I get funny pains from time to time. I am told it is the nerve endings healing. I am now 8 weeks post operation. Funny I have read where this is a very dangerous and major operation right up there with open heart surgery, but for some reason never realized how dangerous an operation it was before I had the operation. Good thing, otherwise I would of been a wreck! Thank goodness it is over and I am pretty much back to normal. I can't wait for all the swelling to subside and my scar to fade!