Hearing Loss - Symptoms

Did your hearing loss occur gradually? What were your symptoms?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of hearing loss?

Symptoms of hearing loss include mild loss of high frequency hearing, hearing loss associated with ringing or noises (tinnitus), and complete deafness. Symptoms may develop gradually over time with many causes of hearing loss.

People who are experiencing hearing loss may refrain from taking part in conversations, may turn the volume up high on the radio or TV, and may frequently ask others to repeat what they have said.

Return to Hearing Loss

Comment from: Harrison Bergeron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had slow onset hearing loss and an operation that restored my hearing. A good audiologist will measure hearing through the ear and through the skull bone. If the hearing is good through the bone, this means that the auditory nerve is good but transmission of sound through the ear is diminished.

Comment from: Lori, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I first noticed a loss of hearing on the telephone, it gradually became worse unless I switched the phone to my other ear, or turned on speakerphone to be able to hear a normal conversation.