Food Poisoning - Home Remedies

Please provide home remedies you've used to treat symptoms related to food poisoning.

Are there any home remedies for food poisoning?

The key to home care is being able to keep the affected person hydrated. Oral rehydration therapy with water or a balanced electrolyte solution such as Gatorade or Pedialyte is usually adequate to replenish the body with fluids. A person can lose a significant amount of fluid with each diarrheal bowel movement, and that fluid has to be replaced to rehydrate. Patients that show any signs of dehydration such as decreased urination, dizziness, or dry mucous membranes, especially in the young or elderly, should see a health care practitioner.

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I followed a restricted diet and drank electrolyte water. The first day I ate dry toast, the second boiled white rice. Then I slowly introduced potatoes, oatmeal, and bananas. I also took garlic and probiotics. The diarrhea stopped in less than 24 hours. I'd been ill for over a week.

Comment from: JT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I've been practicing home remedies for over 20 years and have had several occasions of food poisoning. As I am writing this, five hours ago food poisoning struck, excessive bowel movements and killer chills. I immediately got a large glass of water and put 1 1/2 capfuls from an apple cider vinegar bottle into the water. (Important, I said apple cider vinegar, do not use any other type of vinegar.) I started sipping on it and in a short period I was throwing up and also had the runs as well. Kept sipping and kept expelling from both ends and finally got most of it out of my system five hours later. Look up uses for apple cider vinegar and you will be amazed!

Stay Informed!