Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.

Please select the black triangle:

Aortic valve stenosis facts

• Aortic stenosis is narrowing of the aortic valve, impeding delivery of blood from the heart to the body.
  • Aortic stenosis can be caused by congenital bicuspid aortic valve, scarred aortic valve of rheumatic fever, and wearing of aortic valve in the elderly.
  • Aortic stenosis can cause chest pain, fainting, and heart failure leading to shortness of breath.
  • Echocardiogram and cardiac catheterization are important tests in diagnosing and evaluating severity of aortic stenosis.
  • Patients with aortic stenosis are usually given antibiotics prior to any procedures which might introduce bacteria into the bloodstream, such as dental procedures and surgeries.
  • Patients with aortic stenosis who have symptoms may require surgical heart valve replacement.
Return to Aortic Stenosis

Comment from: DramaQueen241994, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am 19, almost 20 years old. I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis when I was only a few days old. I had 5 surgeries on my heart before I was 1 year old. My first surgery was when I was 1 week old. I have had 12 surgeries in total. Living with aortic stenosis has been difficult for me. I am not able to run without getting out of breath. I go to see the heart doctor every year and they do many tests on me to make sure everything is going good. The last 4 years have been good when I go to see the doctor. I have to take two big pills of penicillin before any procedures that could cause dirty blood to go into my heart.

Comment from: ASarmy1987, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 45 and was told I have mild aortic stenosis (AS) with bicuspid aortic valve when I was 19. I was in the Army at the time. Military didn"t make me leave. I was watched all my pregnancies and worked full term with no restrictions. I get short of breath with exertion now that I am older, have heart palpitations and chest pain, also dizzy spells, and full checkup with a cardiologist every 2 years. No medication is needed. Best advice I can offer keep your weight within normal limits, no smoking, no drugs, and take your antibiotics as ordered.