Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.

Aortic valve stenosis facts

• Aortic stenosis is narrowing of the aortic valve, impeding delivery of blood from the heart to the body.
  • Aortic stenosis can be caused by congenital bicuspid aortic valve, scarred aortic valve of rheumatic fever, and wearing of aortic valve in the elderly.
  • Aortic stenosis can cause chest pain, fainting, and heart failure leading to shortness of breath.
  • Echocardiogram and cardiac catheterization are important tests in diagnosing and evaluating severity of aortic stenosis.
  • Patients with aortic stenosis are usually given antibiotics prior to any procedures which might introduce bacteria into the bloodstream, such as dental procedures and surgeries.
  • Patients with aortic stenosis who have symptoms may require surgical heart valve replacement.
Return to Aortic Stenosis

Comment from: BrianN., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I was diagnosed with mild aortic stenosis (AS) and regurgitation when I was three years old. My gastroenterologist first heard my murmur which led me to my first cardiologist appointment. I have seen many amazing doctors, and have been on enalapril (Vasotec) since I was very young. I was told not to play contact sports, and to not hold my breath for a long period of time. I am not 25, and there has been no change over the years. In fact, because of that, the condition has actually gotten better, in a way. I am allowed to exercise, lift weights, and do whatever I want. The only problem I have is I am paranoid about my heart. I get palpitations, and many of the symptoms that would go with AS, but it's really just my severe panic disorder, which I have because of anxiety of my heart. My doctor said I will need surgery in my 5th or 6th decade of life.

Comment from: Grace1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

About 5 five years ago I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis (AS) after a heart murmur was found. I also have lupus and have antibodies on the valve. I was recently told my AS is severe and I should face a replacement within 6 months, but I do not qualify for TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement). At night I have more symptoms of irregular heartbeat, sitting up in bed to catch my breath. I am not sure I want to undergo open heart surgery.