Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

What is food poisoning?

Food poisoning might be described as a food borne disease. Food that contains a toxin, chemical or infectious agent (like a bacterium, virus, parasite, or prion) and cause symptoms in the body are considered types of food poisoning by most investigators. Those symptoms may be related only to the gastrointestinal tract causing vomiting or diarrhea or may involve other organs such as the kidney, brain or muscle.

Typically most food borne diseases cause vomiting and diarrhea that tend to be short lived and resolve on their own, but dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities may develop. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 76 million people become ill from food related diseases each year resulting in 325,000 hospitalizations and 5,000 deaths.

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Donny d, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Due to food poisoning I have abdominal pain nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and then get chills. I also have belching, headache, weight loss, and knot in my throat.

Comment from: TummyNotHappy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am still researching whether or not I have food poisoning or another flu ailment, but I felt perfectly fine when we started out on our road trip until after we stopped at a fast food restaurant and I ate a steak and egg burrito for breakfast. One hour later I felt car sick. Then more car sick. Then we arrived at our destination and I thought I would feel better, but I just got more car sick. My upper stomach was cramping and hurting and I felt extremely nauseous. I'm one of those people who will fight vomiting, but I probably would've felt better sooner if I had let it happen. I developed a low grade fever about 6 hours after breakfast and could not be close enough to a restroom because of the urgent diarrhea. My whole body ached so I thought it must be more than food poisoning. Then the headache started. I didn't take any medications for my symptoms. All body aches and fever gone after 18 hours. I haven't eaten in over 30 hours and my upper stomach still hurts. I did take Excedrin for the headache when I woke up the next day, and now all symptoms are gone except the upper tummy pain, and the watery diarrhea is persisting.