Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

Please select the black triangle:

What is food poisoning?

Food poisoning is a food borne disease. Ingestion of food that contains a toxin, chemical or infectious agent (like a bacterium, virus, parasite, or prion) may cause adverse symptoms in the body. Those symptoms may be related only to the gastrointestinal tract causing vomiting or diarrhea or they may involve other organs such as the kidney, brain, or muscle.

Typically most food borne diseases cause vomiting and diarrhea that tend to be short lived and resolve on their own, but dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities may develop. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates approximately 48 million people become ill from food-related diseases each year resulting in 128,000 hospitalizations, and 3,000 deaths.

According to the CDC, in 2011, the most common foodborne illnesses in the United States each year are caused by Norovirus, and the bacteria Campylobacter, Clostridium perfringens, and Salmonella.

This article introduces the major causes of food poisoning and is not meant to be all-inclusive.

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Bj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am still suffering 7 days after food poisoning with watery diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and nausea now, but I was vomiting until I got medications to stop it. I was in the hospital on drips due to dehydration, etc., as I was going to the toilet every 5 minutes. I have shivers, sweating and constant leaking out my bottom so have to wear Tennant pants. It can last up to 90 days depending on which you have. Unluckily this is me, but usually people clear up between 2 to 4 days. I'm sorry you guys have suffered, I really can't take much more.

Comment from: Msgj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My husband and I had take-out from a local restaurant. I ordered a chicken salad wrap and he had a beef gyro. We both had red wine, shared a small piece of turtle pie, and had an after-dinner drink. This was around 6 pm. At 2:30 am the next morning, I had to get up and use the bathroom (unusual for me). I didn't really feel any urgency, but I immediately had profuse, watery diarrhea. I had no nausea and no vomiting. I took some Imodium and I went to sleep on the couch after that in case I needed to make another run for it, but that was it. I had a bit of that lump-in-the-stomach feeling the next morning, but I waited a bit before eating breakfast, then had a little applesauce and toasted flatbread. I called our local health department that next day, and they called back to take my report on food poisoning. This is always a good idea if you suspect food-borne illness so that the restaurant can be notified and an investigation can be started. I kept the other half of the chicken salad wrap in case the health department needs it, but I was told they generally would not. It's well-labeled and hiding in the back of my fridge! I suspect I had a Campylobacter infection, and that possibly the alcohol helped negate some of the effects. Another reason to drink red wine! It's been almost 2 days and I still haven't had another bowel movement, but I feel fine and am now eating normally.