Food Poisoning - Experience

Please describe your experience with food poisoning.

What is food poisoning?

Food poisoning is a food borne disease. Ingestion of food that contains a toxin, chemical or infectious agent (like a bacterium, virus, parasite, or prion) may cause adverse symptoms in the body. Those symptoms may be related only to the gastrointestinal tract causing vomiting or diarrhea or they may involve other organs such as the kidney, brain, or muscle.

Typically most food borne diseases cause vomiting and diarrhea that tend to be short lived and resolve on their own, but dehydration and electrolyte abnormalities may develop. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates approximately 48 million people become ill from food-related diseases each year resulting in 128,000 hospitalizations, and 3,000 deaths.

According to the CDC, in 2011, the most common foodborne illnesses in the United States each year are caused by Norovirus, and the bacteria Campylobacter, Clostridium perfringens, and Salmonella.

This article introduces the major causes of food poisoning and is not meant to be all-inclusive.

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Brad, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

Let me just list the symptoms of food poisoning I had over 12 hours, 4 of which was in the washroom consecutively and felt unbearable. I had abdominal pain from the belly button down, the muscles there were tight as a rock; the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I was moaning so loud my neighbors probably heard me. Then I had sweats followed by tremor like chills, nausea to the point I was almost vomiting, and acid like diarrhea repeated every 10 to 15 minutes.

Comment from: bornplaydie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I ate at a Thai restaurant. My wife and I shared 3 dishes. I ate mostly green chicken curry but she had some too. After 2 hours my food poisoning symptoms hit me strong; sudden nausea with mild abdominal cramping and sweating. I had to stop what I was doing. I initially fought off the urge to vomit. I couldn't lie down. I knelt still at the foot of my bed with my head on the bed. I had a sensation that I would soon have diarrhea, although at time of writing, I have not. Burping gave temporary relief. Another urge to vomit hit me. This time into the bathroom. The smell of the toilet pushed me over the edge and I tossed everything up. I immediately felt better, actually fine. The entire episode from onset of symptoms lasted 45 minutes.