Blood In Semen - Treatment

What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive after finding the cause of blood in your semen?

Please select the white circle:

How is blood in the semen treated?

Treatment of blood in the semen is directed toward the underlying cause if a cause has been found. Sometimes, treatment with antibiotics for a presumptive diagnosis of prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland) is given, since some studies have shown that up to about one-fourth of men with hematospermia have prostatitis. However, the benefit of such treatment has not been definitively established.

In most cases, if blood in the semen is not associated with any known abnormality of other troubling symptoms, no treatment is given, and the condition usually resolves on its own with time in these situations. Persistent hematospermia (for a month or more) even in the absence of other symptoms warrants further or follow-up evaluation.

Return to Blood In Semen

Comment from: john, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I have had blood in semen for at least 10 years. Seemingly no other problems. I have had no treatment.

Comment from: Raz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I have had few drops of blood in my urine at the start of the urination process, the color is almost pink. I had this for one month. Recently I noticed blood with my semen, I went to the doctor and the ultrasound showed an enlarged prostate (3 times the size) gland. I have no other symptoms, no pain, urination is almost normal. I was prescribed medication to reduce the size of the prostate but this is a slow process as the doctor said it will take 6 to 12 months to reduce the size by 30 percent.