Group B Strep - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?

Please select the black square:

What are group B strep infection symptoms and signs?

In newborns with early onset group B strep infection, the signs and symptoms usually develop within the first 24 hours of life. Those babies who develop late-onset group B strep infection are often healthy and thriving, with the signs and symptoms of the disease developing after the first week of life. Signs and symptoms that may be observed with GBS infection in babies include

• fever,
  • breathing problems/grunting sounds,
  • bluish-colored skin (cyanosis),
  • seizures,
  • limpness or stiffness,
  • heart rate and blood pressure abnormalities,
  • poor feeding,
  • fussiness.

Adults who develop invasive GBS infection may develop

• bloodstream infection (sepsis),
  • skin and soft-tissue infection,
  • bone and joint infection,
  • lung infection (pneumonia),
  • urinary tract infection,
  • rarely, an infection of the fluid and lining tissues surrounding the brain (meningitis).

The exact source of the infection in nonpregnant adults is often not determined.

Return to Group B Strep

Comment from: PHahn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I started experiencing chronic UTIs about 12 months ago. My symptoms are usually hives or a rash that starts around my ankles and moves up toward my inner thighs, stomach, and chest area. My doctor referred to me to a urologist and I had a cystoscopy done in Sept 2012 and had my urethra widened during that procedure. I had no problems since then until this week when the rash and hives started back up. My regular doctor tested my urine and it came back positive for group B strep. I am 32 years old, never have been pregnant, and have an IUD currently in place.

Comment from: c williams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My symptoms of group B strep infection include severe burning on the inside of my vagina with a fungus like material surrounding my vagina on the outside. I do not burn when I pass urine but I do burn before I have to go to the restroom. It is getting severe because my left kidney has pain which shoots up to my shoulder blade. The other symptoms include sharp pain in my left kidney shooting across my back to the right side and pain in the center of my back. It hurts me to walk sometimes.