Group B Strep - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your group B strep infection?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of group B strep infection?

In newborns with early-onset group B strep infection, the signs and symptoms usually develop within the first 24 hours of life. Those babies who develop late-onset group B strep infection are often healthy and thriving, with the signs and symptoms of the disease developing after the first week of life. Signs and symptoms that may be observed with GBS infection in babies include

• fever,

• breathing problems/grunting sounds,

• bluish-colored skin,

• seizures,

• limpness or stiffness,

• heart rate and blood pressure abnormalities,

• poor feeding, and

• fussiness.

Adults who develop invasive GBS infection may develop bloodstream infection (sepsis), skin and soft-tissue infection, bone and joint infection, lung infection (pneumonia), or rarely an infection of the fluid and lining tissues surrounding the brain (meningitis).

Return to Group B Strep

Comment from: Minnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My vaginal area burns. I've been dealing with recurrent UTIs and painful contractions in my bladder area since July of 2012. Then I was diagnosed with and treated for Lyme disease in the fall of 2012. It seemed to relieve the symptoms, but they have been back and disrupting my life since December. The doctor ran a culture yesterday. With my history, I'm sure it will be Group B strep again. I'm wondering why I keep getting this and the UTIs. They are ruining my life.

Comment from: PHahn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I started experiencing chronic UTIs about 12 months ago. My symptoms are usually hives or a rash that starts around my ankles and moves up toward my inner thighs, stomach, and chest area. My doctor referred to me to a urologist and I had a cystoscopy done in Sept 2012 and had my urethra widened during that procedure. I had no problems since then until this week when the rash and hives started back up. My regular doctor tested my urine and it came back positive for group B strep. I am 32 years old, never have been pregnant, and have an IUD currently in place.