Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis - Experience

Do you know the cause of your hypersensitivity pneumonitis? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is hypersensitivity pneumonitis and what are its causes?

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) is an inflammation of the lung (usually of the very small airways) caused by the body's immune reaction to small air-borne particles. These particles can be bacteria, mold, fungi, or even inorganic matter.

Return to Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

Comment from: Richard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I feel that I had an episode of hypersensitivity pneumonitis. I recently purchased a set of pillowcase protective covers and a full zippered case cover for a queen size mattress. The material that the protective covers were made of was a form of a polyvinylchloride based material. The material was of a cloth like product with sewn like zippers. I purchased the covers at a reliable retailer. At first use, straight from the shipping material, the covers had a strong acidic smell. After a few days use, the smell expanded to the whole bedroom. It ended up, I could not sleep on my back in my bed or any other position. The smell led to acute coughing, shortness of breath, difficult breathing, vomiting, a burnt like taste of the air breathed, and perhaps heart distress. With removal of the covers from the bed and room area, my normal sleep mode returned without physical distress.

Comment from: Ian, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

My condition of hypersensitivity pneumonitis may have been caused by my hobby and work, pigeons, welding and spray painting.