Pneumothorax - Treatment

Were you hospitalized for your pneumothorax? What types of treatment did you receive, including medication?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for pneumothorax?

A small pneumothorax without underlying lung disease may resolve on its own in one to two weeks. A larger pneumothorax and a pneumothorax associated with underlying lung disease often require aspiration of the free air and/or placement of a chest tube to evacuate the air. Possible complications of chest tube insertion include pain, infection of the space between the lung and chest wall (the pleural space), hemorrhage (bleeding), fluid accumulation in the lung, and low blood pressure (hypotension). In some cases, the leak does not close on its own. This is called a bronchopleural fistula, and may require chest surgery to repair the hole in the lung.

Return to Pneumothorax

Comment from: Hasrul-MY, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I was sitting in front of my desk and suddenly I had cough along with collapsed lung, I couldn't breathe because of extreme pain in chest and my backbone. I was treated with chest tube. One week later I got discharged after my lung got fully expanded. I'm a non-smoker. My job is at office, typing and writing.

Comment from: anon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I developed a crippling pain in my right side from my chest to my shoulder. I was hospitalized, had a chest x-ray, and was diagnosed with pneumothorax, a 50% collapse. I was told to go home and return in 3 days for a follow up x-ray. On the journey to my second visit, the same thing happened on my left side. Another x-ray concluded a 30% collapse. I spent 2 nights in ICU with 40% oxygen which eased the breathing a lot. I was on codeine 60 mg and paracetamol. I am waiting for an operation appointment currently, for 2 operations over the space of a year. A CT scan shows smalls cysts at the top of the lung and a tiny one burst causing the pneumothorax.