Restless Leg Syndrome - Remedies and Alternative Treatments

Please share remedies and alternative treatments you've tried to manage restless leg syndrome.

Please select the black square:

Are there any remedies or complimentary/alternative treatments for restless leg syndrome?

Other treatments that have been helpful for some patients include:

• warm/cold baths,
  • electric nerve stimulation,
  • oral magnesium,
  • acupuncture, and
  • natural treatments such as quinine water at bedtime (tonic water).

Unfortunately, some of the above mentioned medications may produce side effects, so patients are urged to discuss any conditions that arise after taking medication for RLS with their doctor.

Anxiety may trigger or increase RLS symptoms according to some investigators. Consequently, many over-the-counter items such as lavender soap fumes or acupuncture, or other home remedies and natural treatments may reduce anxiety and thus reduce symptoms of RLS, according to anecdotal claims. However, there is no known cure for RLS and, in most people, any underlying cause should be ruled out by medical tests.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Oldironside, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have suffered with restless leg syndrome since I was a child. I would always shake my legs while sitting down and I was always told I was hyper when actually I was suffering with RSL. I am now 42 and it"s really unbearable pain. I was given a prescription of Ultram and putting something cold on my knees seems to help. This is a hateful disease.

Comment from: 21916, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had restless leg syndrome (RLS) for about 7 years and it started in my 60s. I constantly have to stretch my legs or arms. I take over the counter vitamins, like C, B12, calcium, etc. Also, glucosamine. I have noticed that it seems to get worse when taking all (about 7) my vitamins for several days. Symptoms are not so bad when I don"t take them. I am going to try taking one at a time for a while and see if I react to any particular one.