MELAS Syndrome - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with MELAS syndrome in a friend or relative?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of MELAS?

As a result of the disturbed function of their cells' mitochondria, patients with MELAS develop brain dysfunction (encephalopathy) with seizures and headaches, as well as muscle disease with a build-up of lactic acid in the blood (a condition called lactic acidosis), temporary local paralysis (stroke-like episodes), and abnormal thinking (dementia).

Return to MELAS Syndrome

Comment from: johan, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

My wife and daughter had MELAS syndrome. My wife became demented at the age of 46, and two years later, she died at a final weight of 28 kg. At the same time, they found out that my daughter had the same illness. But she was in a worse stage; she was 23 at the time. She became demented and had strange effects because of the MELAS. She became deaf, stopped eating, and had no energy. She died one year after my wife. The worst part is that you do not get any support. I lost everything due to MELAS syndrome. It's a cruel illness.

Comment from: sarin, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My son aged 4 is suspected to have this cruel disease MELAS syndrome. He has been having epilepsy since he was 1.5 years old, he was normal for one year, now he is in bed, with no movement; it's like I'm losing him day by day.