Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with facial nerve problems or Bell's palsy?

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms of a facial nerve problem?

Facial nerve problems may result in facial muscle paralysis, weakness, or twitching of the face. Dryness of the eye or the mouth, alteration of taste on the affected side, or even excessive tearing or salivation can be seen as well. However, the finding of one of these symptoms does not necessarily imply a specific facial nerve problem; the physician needs to make a careful investigation in order to make a precise diagnosis. Symptoms of a facial nerve problem can vary in severity depending upon the extent of the injury to the nerve. Symptoms may range from mild twitching to full paralysis of the muscles on one side of the face.

Return to Facial Nerve Problems and Bell's Palsy (Bell Palsy)

Comment from: Shivani, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I feel as if air has been trapped on the left side of my facial nerves. I always feel moving pressure around my eyes, sometimes near my nose, or around my cheekbones. Is this possible?

Comment from: vanilla, 35-44 (Patient) Published: August 19

I am going to add to the possible risks and hopefully I will not be judged too harshly. I am 99% positive that I got Facial Palsy in 2004, which was then called Bell's Palsey because I am a drug abuser of prescription narcotics. One evening I was injecting some Dilaudids and some Morphine (not mixed but separately). I have very small veins and I was having trouble injecting in my arm so I tried my left hand. I remember hitting a very painful spot which I believe was a nerve. I also may have not cleaned the injection area too well and somehow the physician said I had gotten bacteria in my blood which he believed caused this (I never told the doctor what I had done though) the next day I woke up and this has been a nightmare for me ever since. Unfortunately I was not one of the 70% that recover. The entire left side of my face remained paralyzed and I feel like a freak. At times I wish I could just die. No one to blame but myself and my nasty habit.