Pernicious Anemia - Share Your Experience

What was the cause of your megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is megaloblastic anemia?

Sometimes, anemias are subclassified based upon the size and microscopic appearance of the red blood cells. In this regard, pernicious anemia is a form of megaloblastic anemia. Megaloblastic anemia refers to an abnormally large type of red blood cell (megaloblast). Megaloblasts are produced in the bone marrow when vitamin B-12 or folic acid levels are low. Megaloblastic anemia can also be caused by other disease of the bone marrow and can be a side effect of some cancer chemotherapy drugs.

Return to Pernicious Anemia

Comment from: sbuxt44, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

This disease was passed down to me from my mother, her mother, and further back, all Irish. I only gave birth to 3 sons and am hoping it will end there for future progeny. It was held at bay by eating raw calf liver or blood (and no, we are not vampires) but they all had earlier than average mortality, usually around 50 to 60 years if age. One condition of note is that my red blood cells are much larger than normal, when doctor did extensive research. I wonder if it really is pernicious anemia or the large red blood cells which is the cause.

Comment from: Less than 47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

My pernicious anemia was caused by an autoimmune disorder where my stomach destroyed the intrinsic factor. At the time of diagnosis my B12 level was less than 47 and I had paralysis in my legs and a very weak pulse. My doctor thinks I've had it 5 to 10 years because of the severity of my symptoms.